Is this a Cornish Roo?

Do you know if the woman got him from a hatchery, or if she raised him herself/got him from a small flock farmer? If he's really a pure breed, my guess would be a Dark Cornish, hatchery quality. Otherwise, he may just be a Dark Cornish mix, as he isn't as well filled out as they should be.

Heres a better pic. Hes feeling a little more confident today :p

And I'm still just not seeing it, or he's the worst hatchery quality there could be. I don't have a pic of my guy available, but here's a pic from MMM

images

They have such a distinctive shape and stance, there should be no question at all what breed the bird is. Plus, those light saddle feathers tell me there's something else in the breeding somewhere. I could agree he has some Cornish in the background, but if you're wanting to breed Dark Cornish birds you'll be disappointed using him as your cock bird. If you're just wanting nice meat birds for the table, he'll probably do just fine.

He looks like a cross bred someting or other, maybe with RIR. Or maybe hatchery dark cornish, but i doubt it. I have owned hatchery quality dark cornish and they didn't look like him. Even his cross bred chicks grew up much broader through the breasts than their mothers.

thank you here is an older picture of a male we used to have, you can clearly see the color difference here, and the tail shape compared to the bird from hillsboroughnb. With that said he looks like a nice healthy bird and depending on your goals, should be able to work for you.

I will say that after having std Cornish for a few years true Cornish are the most wonderfully frustrating breed you will ever have. They are slow growing and and have about the most awful "teenage" stage and are poor egg producers. But these are birds that have a grace and charm about them that to me is unmatched.

ACA Hady Poultry

Back
Top Bottom