Is this a duck egg??? Pictures.......

I am told that fertility on the first few duck eggs is low. You may want to just break it open and evaluate the viscosity of the white and the thickness of the shell. Then eat it fixed any way you like.

Feel it then feel a chicken egg. The duck egg will feel very smooth almost silky the chicken egg will have a more rough feeling to it. The first time my duck laid and yes in the chickens nest box I tought ok who laid a white egg. I have all brown layers I thought maybe the spray paint didnt work that day
big_smile.png
til I really checked out the egg and the differences in the feel of the egg. I didnt think my KC was ever going to lay she was almost 7 months old before she laid her first but hasnt missed a day since.

Quote:
Eggs can be fertile from the very first ever laid... ( As long as there is a drake around doing what he needs to of course.) But shell thickness and size of the egg can vary a bit until they have laid for a while- making them not always the best chosen for incubating.

Thank for the comments everyone... Theres been ALOT of matin going on the past month or so. I'm also gonna hunt the yard today... I might find a nest. One of my duck hens was right there beside me one minute this mornin then gone and she didnt come down to the coop to eat like they do every mornin. So its got me wonderin............ I'm gonna go try to find her. The egg is smooth, silky/waxy feelin. I really think its duck... I really dont think its chicken or guinea... so that leaves duck, lol.

I just went out and found another egg, exactly like the one from yesterday in the same next box........ I'm gonna open this one up. The other one I put under a broody, see what happens in 35ish days.

Ok... I just cracked it open, it was harder than a chicken egg to open, the yolk is alot bigger........ so Im stickin with duck egg.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom