Is this a dumped domestic goose?

Oh and also, does anyone know what kind of tests I should run to make sure she isn't carrying anything nasty that could hurt my ducks? That's what has me most concerned at this point.

I'll update after I find her (I hope hope hope I do).

caf.gif
oh and large dog kennel is a good way to transport.
fl.gif

She was there! And now she is here!

My neighbor girl helped me find and catch her... it went very smoothly. This goose is so friendly.

We found her with the dead carcass of her friend
sad.png
I'm a little on edge because there weren't any major signs of injury on the dead goose, just a reddish bruise on the nobbin of its beak. My neighbor thinks it might have died from eating fishing line or tackle. The feathers and feet of the dead bird looked healthy, though her eyes were decaying. Like I said, just a bruise on its nobbin. So I'm worried it was diseased.

Our rescue goose seems to be in healthy condition. Had a few big, splat, nasty poops but I couldn't notice any blood/parasites/etc. in it. Her feathers are in very good condition and her vent is clean. The only thing that caught my eye is her beak. It has a few red spots on it, some flaking, and the teeth part (yeah, I know they're not teeth) are grimy with dirt that won't clean off.

I have her sectioned off in the duck yard, and I'm planning on quickly buying a large dog house to keep her in at night until I'm sure she's healthy.

I know nothing about geese, so anything you can share with me will be very helpful as I do other research.

She is not eating the grower crumble that I feed my ducks, she ever so gently touches it with her beak, then shakes it all off like "Yucky!" I made a mash out of it, same thing, touch and shake. What can I feed her?

She was there! And now she is here!

My neighbor girl helped me find and catch her... it went very smoothly. This goose is so friendly.

We found her with the dead carcass of her friend
sad.png
I'm a little on edge because there weren't any major signs of injury on the dead goose, just a reddish bruise on the nobbin of its beak. My neighbor thinks it might have died from eating fishing line or tackle. The feathers and feet of the dead bird looked healthy, though her eyes were decaying. Like I said, just a bruise on its nobbin. So I'm worried it was diseased.

Our rescue goose seems to be in healthy condition. Had a few big, splat, nasty poops but I couldn't notice any blood/parasites/etc. in it. Her feathers are in very good condition and her vent is clean. The only thing that caught my eye is her beak. It has a few red spots on it, some flaking, and the teeth part (yeah, I know they're not teeth) are grimy with dirt that won't clean off.

I have her sectioned off in the duck yard, and I'm planning on quickly buying a large dog house to keep her in at night until I'm sure she's healthy.

I know nothing about geese, so anything you can share with me will be very helpful as I do other research.

She is not eating the grower crumble that I feed my ducks, she ever so gently touches it with her beak, then shakes it all off like "Yucky!" I made a mash out of it, same thing, touch and shake. What can I feed her?
romaine lettuce for one, chop and put in her water. geese are very hardy and she looked healthy in the pic. do you think someone may have injured the other and caused it's death. People can be so cruel. I'm glad you have her Tracey. Give her time she may not understand about the food but hopefully after she feels comfortable she'll begin to eat. Do you have scratch or whole corn? my geese love it you could try mixing some in with her feed just to get her started then gradually drop it off as she starts eating then just give it to her as a snack. She could be depressed from seeing her friend dead to geese are very sensitive about death, can she hears or see your ducks from the distance? and please keep her safe at night from predators they can kill a goose pretty easy geese really have no way of protecting themselves. Big sigh just knowing you have her safely at your home, Hope bf isn't too upset with you.

I have her in the same yard, just separated from the ducks by a plastic chicken mesh fence so the ducks at least can't eat her poop (my ducks are classy
wink.png
) So there is plenty of non-physical contact going on. I am also worried about her mental health like you mentioned, it was so sad to see her just hanging around her friend's body, poor girl. She's been a bit noisy, especially for the 10 minutes whenever I leave the duck yard. She is drinking and eating grass, though, so that is a good sign.

I will make a grocery store run for lettuce. And maybe I'll pick up some scratch or corn from the feed store too while I'm out.

I have no idea if some cruel person killed the other goose. It was laying right on the bank half in the water half out. A spot with easy access for humans. Maybe the people who dropped them off in the first place? Dunno.

I will do my best to secure her temporary bedroom and make it predator proof. I'm looking into some really sturdy large sized dog houses on craigslist. I am planning to not put feed or water in there with her at night. Is that OK with geese?

And one more question, she gets a vibrating neck a lot. I know that's sorta normal for my ducks (not very often though, just when they get a little too excited with me), but is this something I need to worry about with her?

Back
Top Bottom