Is this a dumped domestic goose?

TracyLovesDucks

Songster
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
Northern Colorado
I'm afraid someone dumped their 2 geese at a local lake. I heard one has already died. Can you help me understand if this is a domestic goose, can it fly, and do you have any tips for helping this big'n out?

That looks like a White Chinese to me, but I do not know very much about geese.
I think you should catch it if possible and either keep it or find it a new home. You could bring it to a Sanctuary or animal shelter.

Hi Lightchick, thank you for your reply. I would agree with you, but I don't know if it would be a cohesive addition to my flock of 8 little indian runner ducks. I don't really have the right set up to take it in and keep it quarantined until I know for sure its health is good and make sure it's going to get along with my ducks.

Does anyone know if it can fly? And does anyone know how to tell if it's male or female? A giant male goose with my little ducks probably wouldn't be good at all, but a female might work out... still thinking on it though.

They can fly if the get a good running start and the wind is right, but not very well.
Apparently if the knob on their head is small then it's a female.

Tracy it is a white Chinese and looks young. I wish you could take it in because I'm afraid it would not fair well if animal control got hold of it. any rescue groups in your area? Know of anyone else that maybe interested in her? Go to your states thread and post this and ask for help. Where am i where are you is the thread. Breaks my heart someone would dump her she is gorgeous. and if introduced properly would make a nice addition to your group of Indian runner ducks. [Not trying to force you to do anything your not comfortable with]

Some geese are very noisy, I hear chinese and Africans are the worst, usually the males are the loudest?? Although my production Toulouse is a female and boy she can scream. She knows her name and whenever I say it she responds with AAAAAOOOOCK!!!

Haha oh boy! Well, the neighbors are going to have to put up with it for at least a few days... I'm going back to the lake to get her. I'll keep her until I can relocate her to a loving home (or I might end up keeping her permanently if the neighbors don't mind). I really hope she made it through the night.

Now I have to find a dog kennel, unless anyone else can think of a simpler way of transporting her? Man I really hope she made it.

Back
Top Bottom