Is this a dumped domestic goose?

Kudos on rescuing the poor goose. I expect he/she will make a nice addition to your group. My geese and ducks get along great. Your chicken wire fence should work just fine for inside duck house, but I'd start integrating them outside during the day. The goose will likely establish he/she is boss, but unless you have an aggressive drake, the ducks will be cool with that. Neck shaking is probably a good sign, as it is usually nervousness mixed with curiosity. My most imprinted geese happily eat out of my hands and nibble on my hair and clothes. They sometimes need to learn to be soft, much like a puppy, but it is easy to train.

As for health concerns, geese are generally very hardy. If eating/drinking/pooping well and otherwise looking and acting healthy, I would not be overly concerned. Of course, you can always spend money at your local vet or CSU for exam, fecal and blood tests, but it does not sounds like it is necessary.

So glad you rescued that goose. You are a wonderful person to help that goose. Sounds like it is feeling good about it's new home. Keeping the goose separated at night will be a good thing just as long as it see's the ducks on the other side. That way they can not pick on each other either.

Please help, guys! I integrated the goose with my flock today. He was a little aggressive at first, but settled down after a bit. That's not the problem... I'm freaking out because I just saw him throw up or regurgitate a bunch of slimy watery stuff!

I am seriously freaked out, he's been with the ducks all day sharing their water, pooping on their grass, maybe throwing up in their water and on their grass. Please, what is going on with him?

He's always had excess water that comes out whenever he shakes his head, which I thought was gross, but I thought maybe normal for a goose. But this was the first time I saw a bunch come out, and it was slimy.

Last edited:
I know I've seen my pigeons throw up their food and I freaked out, but just waited and nothing happened. Hope it's the same thing with your goose.

If an isolated incident, I would not worry. I've seen my geese do it on occasion and they are perfectly healthy.

Ok, he really gave me a scare. I have been watching him. He hasn't done it again, but he is always shaking water from his beak, since I rescued him. Is this normal, too?
hmm.png

He seems to be much quieter and a little sleepier today, I chalked these up to him being more relaxed and settling in. I saw him laying down to take a nap for the first time today.

On a more positive note, here are some pictures. He sure is a beautiful boy.

Back
Top Bottom