Is this a dumped domestic goose?

Good job rescuing your new goose! They make wonderful pets! I sure wish I hadn't waited 35 years to get my first one (who knew
idunno.gif
they'd be so personable) !!! My geese shake their heads and a liquid will come out too. I believe it's pretty normal. My gander, especially, will shake his head almost every time he approaches me. Sometimes, if I forget and kneel down to greet him, I get a fairly descent spritz right in my face. He also has this strange habit of, well...how do I say it...burping...as he's greeting me. He'll see me, shake his head, spritz a little liquid, 'burp' and then shake his head again and then he'll start chewing! It's very bizarre, I know, but I honestly think he's regurgitating his food for me. Like he's trying to give me a tasty sample of his previous meal! I've had various breeds of birds before, but the only other one that ever tried to feed me was my parrot Bosley. Anyway, I wish you luck and much happiness with your new goose and 'kudos' to you for saving its life!

I am so glad you rescued him/her. Either way she's beautiful. My geese are the ones that adopt any young ducks I bring home or hatch. Even the ganders are very good with young. It really surprised me the first time it happened.,

Tracy he looks great and may have just eaten too much and drank too much water. Sounds like he is settling in. I agree on gander being so great about adopting ducklings.

You're all right, he is a healthy goose! Just freaked me out a little with his big goosey spew
big_smile.png
No signs or symptoms to worry about since.

But I wanted to share some news with you: I've realized that I'm maxed out with my flock of 8 ducks, and so I'm going to do my best to find this guy another loving home. He really is very sweet and a beautiful goose indeed, so I'm a little sad, but that is what's best for me and bf. Hopefully you all understand. And if you have any tips to share for finding the right place for this goose, that would be great. I am going to post on the where you/where I thread first and maybe in the for sale section (though I'm not going to charge anything for him). Then it's off to craigslist.

I'd give one of you dibs, but we're all too far apart! Anyone want to ship in a lovely gander from Colorado?
wink.png

I would have taken him but then again i live all the way back in Ireland but maybe there is some trends on byc where you can give you're goose to a person in you're area :)

I understand! Geese are really big. I wish I could take him, but I don't think he'd fit in with 6 chickens. I don't think our coop would hold him either. Hope you find a loving home for him!
He deserves it.

Hopefully someone on the Colorado thread will want him, he sure is gorgeous but understand completely , Geese are not for everyone, at least you saved his life. and hopefully he'll have a forever home soon. Please keep keep Craigslist for last resort.

Last edited:
I would have taken him but then again i live all the way back in Ireland but maybe there is some trends on byc where you can give you're goose to a person in you're area
smile.png

That would be a long trip for a goose who can't even fly
wink.png
Yup, this is a big community. There's got to be someone in my area who wants to love this guy!

I understand! Geese are really big. I wish I could take him, but I don't think he'd fit in with 6 chickens. I don't think our coop would hold him either. Hope you find a loving home for him!
He deserves it.

You do need to get some waterfowl lightchick, you'd really love them, I'm sure :) I would recommend runners, but I'm a little biased.

Hopefully someone on the Colorado thread will want him, he sure is gorgeous but understand completely , Geese are not for everyone, at least you saved his life. and hopefully he'll have a forever home soon. Please keep keep Craigslist for last resort.

I will wait to post to Craigslist. If I do, what am I watching out for? Is there a way to filter them out?

Last edited:
He deserves it.

You do need to get some waterfowl lightchick, you'd really love them, I'm sure :) I would recommend runners, but I'm a little biased.
I either going to get Runners or Khaki Campbells because I want as much eggs as possible. How do your Runners lay?

Back
Top Bottom