Is this a female?

PolloGal

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Eastern TN
Hi. Not sure if it is too soon…but these 3 little Narragansetts are about 4 weeks old. I don’t see any ‘strutting‘ going on…and I can easily tell my 4 week old bourbon red is a Tom - he struts ALL the time. But that’s the only way I can tell. Can anyone tell if these are girls and how can you tell? (It was hard to get them to stay still 😊) Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1163.jpeg
    IMG_1163.jpeg
    395.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1162.jpeg
    IMG_1162.jpeg
    627.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1161.jpeg
    IMG_1161.jpeg
    582.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1160.jpeg
    IMG_1160.jpeg
    600.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1159.jpeg
    IMG_1159.jpeg
    611.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1157.jpeg
    IMG_1157.jpeg
    629.1 KB · Views: 1
we had a few hens (that we thought were toms till we started getting eggs) would strut if something ( dog, rooster, cat) was getting aggressive or trying to be dominate or even just getting too close they would strut and act like toms. could just be an out hen thing though. Edit: forgot to add that if something was unfamiliar she would strut too

we had a few hens (that we thought were toms till we started getting eggs) would strut if something ( dog, rooster, cat) was getting aggressive or trying to be dominate or even just getting too close they would strut and act like toms. could just be an out hen thing though. Edit: forgot to add that if something was unfamiliar she would strut too
Ok. Thanks. Any way to telll if these are girls by appearance?

Hi. Not sure if it is too soon…but these 3 little Narragansetts are about 4 weeks old. I don’t see any ‘strutting‘ going on…and I can easily tell my 4 week old bourbon red is a Tom - he struts ALL the time. But that’s the only way I can tell. Can anyone tell if these are girls and how can you tell? (It was hard to get them to stay still 😊) Thanks.
Way too young to tell the sex from pictures. They need to be at least 3 months old and sometimes even 6 months old for late developing toms to sex from pictures.

Ok. So I won’t know if they are girls or boys until 3-6 months old??
Watch for differences between poults of the same age class. A person with both sexes can often tell through observation of physical characteristics and behavioral traits which are which. Those of us trying to identify sex from a photograph don't get to take everything into consideration.

Look at your toms and your hens and notice the difference in the shape of their head. Their heads are shaped different even when they are hatching.

Back
Top Bottom