Is this a female?

Watch for differences between poults of the same age class. A person with both sexes can often tell through observation of physical characteristics and behavioral traits which are which. Those of us trying to identify sex from a photograph don't get to take everything into consideration.

Look at your toms and your hens and notice the difference in the shape of their head. Their heads are shaped different even when they are hatching.
I will try that. I do remember reading something about the size of the caruncle too. What is it tho with the head shape? Is the female rounded more or something?

I will try that. I do remember reading something about the size of the caruncle too. What is it tho with the head shape? Is the female rounded more or something?
In my opinion the female head shape is narrow and will fit between two parallel lines. The tom's head shape is more of a pentagram, broader at the front.

Toms will develop their caruncles sooner and bigger than a hen's caruncles. These are the bumps near the base of the throat below the wattle.

At 2 months old toms can grow their wattle before the hens do but the hens will catch up quickly.

I believe you are thinking of the snood which on adult toms can swell very big and hang well below the end of the beak. I have not noticed that the size of the snood on young poults means anything.

Thanks! Which one do you use?
1686259469231.png

Back
Top Bottom