Is this a golden laced wyandotte pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Fergie, May 24, 2010.

1. Fergie

Fergie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2007
    NW, Washington
    We bought six pullets from a local feed store, who got them from Ideal Hatchery. They are 6 1/2 weeks old, and one of the golden laced wyandottes has quite a few white spots on her breast (see individual pic) and we are wondering if she's a different breed. I know there are quite a few different types of wyandottes. Plus, she's quite a bit stockier than the other golden laced wyandotte pullet and we are wondering if "she" is a cockerel? Her comb is quite a bit redder, too.

In the picture of three pullets, the two in the front are supposed to be golden laced wyandottes.

What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

It's a cockerel.

3. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    its rooster but what kind I don't know. Not a silver or a golden maybe a cross of the two?

4. Fergie

Fergie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2007
    NW, Washington
    I was thinking it was a cockerel based on it being more aggressive than the others. What do you think about the lighter speckling? Is it a golden laced wyandotte?

5. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    no its has too much white. golden are not supposed to have any white

6. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Well... I would say it's at least half GL. Perhaps it was from a previous crossed GL bird or just the result of poor breeding. That is juvenile feather but it shouldn't be mismarked like that. Sometimes you just don't know what you'll get from a hatchery.

7. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    I know they took the wings off a golden laced and put them on a silver laced body [​IMG]

8. PitterPatterPalace

PitterPatterPalace Chillin' With My Peeps

From my understanding of GLW is they crossed a silver laced wyandotte with a RIR for the mahogany color. My hatchery GLW cockerel who is a few weeks older than yours has a few faint white feather lacing.

9. biddybird

biddybird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    I bought 10 GL and 10 SL from Ideal early March. I need to look a little closer but I don't remember seeing white on the GLW at all. I'll look close tonight. I would say yours is crossed. I have ended up with several crossed up "pure" breds from Ideal. He is a rooster.

[​IMG]

10. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Quote:I agree:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by