Is this a good coop design?

mgnum21

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 4, 2011
SW Washington
We are looking to add our first chicken coop and have been looking at designs when we ran into this one. We like the run length of 11 feet and the design concept but we had a few questions? Do you want mesh doors open in the front and the nesting boxes up front and not covered? We could build a slant cover over the boxes and make a covering for the screen windows. We would appreciate and opinions on this one.

Thanks, Tony

http://www.use.com/47589a3f2aaf4f35b73a

I'm new at this too so I'm no expert, I'm sure others will chime in. It looks pretty cool, you are right about the hardware cloth doors....what climate do you live in? The coop has to be kept warm during winter so those doors would have to be covered. What are the dimensions inside the coop part itself (not the run), figure on 4 sq ft per chicken so make sure it is big enough for the number of chickens you want? The latches are a minor thing, but you'll have to devise something more secure as raccoons can open those easily. Well to the great hobby of backyard chickens, its a blast!

Dave

Thanks Dave, I live in the Pacific Northwest so we have mild winters, but our share of cold weather. I noticed those latches as well, not only with predators but I have two little ones so that would be one of the first changes I would make.

Love the design concept. But the praticality of the details can be better. Look like the ceiling in the run is low for adults. You would want make sure you can retrieve eggs, fill feed and water easily. Arrange it so you do not have to step into the run for chores. Extend the roof overhangs so the windows can stay open even in rainy days.

Back
Top Bottom