Is This a Good Rooster Or?..

Jan 28, 2020
Can someone tell me what a "normal" rooster is like? We just have one - a Rhode Island Red. His name is Ernest (Ernie for short) lol. Along with 13 hens.
Originally we had 5 RIR roosters from our straight run batch. 4 of them ended up in the freezer, and we kept Ernie because he was much more docile than the others. Well. Then he became the only male and got cocky.

He will occasionally jump at us. Idk exactly how to describe it because it always happens too quickly, but I know he's using his spurs (he got me on the leg today🙄) and is being aggressive. When he does that, we chase after him and sometimes throw a stick if he was very aggressive to show him he's not boss. Idk if this is the best method, but I also don't know what else to do...He doesn't do it that often, but often enough that I watch him whenever we're in the fence because he's also gone after our toddler..

Is this just typical rooster behavior? I don't like having to keep an eye on him. I don't know how much good he does for his ladies, but he seems like a pretty protective guy to them. He does scare some of the hens off if he's eating, but others he doesn't mind if they're next to him. He has rounded them up under the chicken tractor before when there were predators. And once a hawk tried grabbing a hen and he went to help, but the hawk flew off.

So, should we just wait til Spring and get some eggs in the incubator and cull him too once we have another rooster? Or is he overall a good one? We've never had one before so I have no point of reference.
Thanks in advance!

I mean, you could remove the spurs. My neighbors had a HORIBBLE rooster and she put olive oil on it and twisted it off. She said it doesnt hurt them but my rooster is super sweet. I think he is just trying to protect them. Good luck!!

I have one silkie rooster. He does run at me some times but you have to show him you're the boss and in charge. So don't backdown when he runs at you because then he will think he won. Probably don't throw things at him, that might make him a bit more mad. I have heard you can hold them in the mornings when they first come out of the coops to show them you love him and you are in charge. Good luck!

He sounds like a jerk. Culling or giving him away is probably the best thing. I never had any luck trying to turn an aggressive rooster into a non-aggressive rooster. If you would be trying to get a chick/cockerel to replace him that is bred from him, that cockerel may not be any better. Temperament often passes down.

I don't tolerate aggressive roosters because I have children. Like you said, I also don't enjoy having to watch him the whole time I'm in the area.
As far as your question, it's normal in a sense as far as behavior, but it's misdirected aggression and a lot of roosters don't attack their owners.
I wouldn't keep this one.

Process him, and don't hatch his eggs. Agressive males tend to make agressive sons.

I mean, you could remove the spurs. My neighbors had a HORIBBLE rooster and she put olive oil on it and twisted it off. She said it doesnt hurt them but my rooster is super sweet. I think he is just trying to protect them. Good luck!!
That method helps trim spurs, it doesn't remove them fully.

Back
Top Bottom