is this a hen's egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by inglewoody, Dec 31, 2012.

1. inglewoody

inglewoody New Egg

Dec 31, 2012
    Old Windsor (UK)
    We've had chickens, quail and ducks for many years, but this has stumped us... Our hens are in a secure run so we are positive no external birds have got in, but we've just had the tiniest egg appear in the nesting box... we've got quail separately but this egg is only 3cm long, 11g, and smaller than our quail eggs. It's pictured alongside the usual eggs we get. We do have some bantams and other small hens but they only lay white eggs - my question is: Can hens lay tiny perfect eggs like this or is it more likely that a small bird somehow got in and laid? (unlikely, but my son is adamant!)...
    [​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Yes, occasionally chickens will lay an irregular egg - I've had it happen few times. Just a blip in their laying cycle I guess.

3. SouthernBornOUFan

SouthernBornOUFan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
    OKC
    Funny. I had a quail do the same thing in proportions to yours. She laid a egg the size of a pea where all the rest are normal. I even cracked it open and although it was off in color, it even had a yolk.

So I assume that if my quail can lay an egg the size of a pea, your chicken could lay one the size of a quail egg.

My guess is it's a feed or vitamin issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by