Is this a Lynx?

@joe12pack Bobcat, a young one under a year old. I still see prominent eye spots on back of her ears. Can't tell gender for sure, but looks female to me, or hasn't yet developed the broad male head and facial structure, and body mass of an adult male. Not nursing young. Hunting at dawn and dusk is typical of bobcats.

I had an intact male bobcat as a pet for about 9 years. Raised him from two days old, he eventually weighed about 45 pounds. He was very tame and devoted to me. Made an interesting and sweet pet. Long story short, I rescued him from a flooded culvert in Beaumont, Texas. He had to be put down after someone shot him with a pellet gun, on my property, damaging his spine. He never took any of my stock, but he certainly could have.

I actually have seen several bobcats in the very urban Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. I have a photo of a young male taken just this last June a few doors down from me, in my neighbor's front yard and within sight of my home. Early morning, school is out for the summer, no pets or people out. And it's trash day. Across the street in front of this cat are houses backed by a large creek and canal system and a big railroad right of way. Plenty of habitat there.

You will, sadly, probably have to kill your young bobcat, as it is already far too comfortable around humans and your birds. Unless you want to build Fort Knox. And watch any pet cats, dogs, goats, or small children, as they can also become prey to it if it gets hungry enough. Not likely to attack children, but it has rarely happened. Good luck.

thanks for everyone's input. So we've established the fact its a juvenile bobcat. Can bobcat's climb? I had a hole in the fence which was why it got in the first 8 times. But I've since patched it up. But now I'm wondering if this critter can climb hardware cloth fencing? Do I need to put a top over my run? I'll be looking into either buying the Havahart live trap or calling a professional pest company in.

I love wild life and do all I can to ensure their continued survival . Chickens are caged they are domestic . Wildlife is including predators vital to the echo system. Do all you can to save them . Only kill when they have shown themselves to be flock killers a real threat to family and pets and livestock . At that point hunt them down and take them out . JMO

My bobcat could climb as well as any cat, so yes. And he could jump flat-footed almost straight up from our living room floor to land in the rafters above our two-story cathedral ceiling. One of his favorite games was hiding up there then landing suddenly and silently at the feet of visitors to greet them. Surprised I didn't have to mop that floor more often.

Bobcats are very strong, agile, and can fit through remarkably small spaces. That's why I say you'll either need to build Fort Knox, or kill your predator. Relocation might work, but they tend to have large territories, so it'll have to be moved far away. Like maybe 30-50 miles? To keep it from coming back.

Here's an idea that will probably play in San Francisco. I understand the fact a lot of San Francisco people will get mad if you kill the poor little kitty. go to http://www.predatorpee.com
and buy some predator pee. I'm seriously not kidding. this guy is been in business for over 30 years. he collects the Per from zoos that sell it to him. it's a fascinating website and a humane way to get all natural, organic way to detur this Bobcat. Bobcats are, listed but he doesn't have an article on them. however if you email him, he will respond promptly and tell you which urine to use.
Best ,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom