Is this a Marans? What kind?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by poseygrace, Jan 9, 2013.

1. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I usually like to get my stock from breeders, but broke down and ordered a few chicks from Meyers. This one is "supposed" to be a Marans (from Meyer's Marans Collection), but I can't find a picture of one that looks like her. Any help is welcome! She's 13 weeks by the way. Notice the white feet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    golden cuckoo maybe

3. BeulahBreezes

BeulahBreezes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Western NY
    My cuckoo marans, Ethel has gold around her head and neck like your gal...white legs too. She was hatched out at Privette Hatchery in New Mexico.....~Beulah

4. poseygrace

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I just found a picture of a golden salmon marans, which she most closely resembles to me, but apparently they are pretty rare. I doubt Meyers would sell one in a collection, but I don't know. ???

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    some hatcheries don't own the parent birds (or at-lest not all of them) and get eggs to hatch from breeders, so maybe the breeder mixed up eggs

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    She's a hatchery quality Gold Cuckoo. The good news is she'll probably lay oodles of eggs. The bad news is that she's wildly off-type for color.

7. poseygrace

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Thanks for all the help! Hopefully I'll get some dark eggs out of her at least. [​IMG]

8. chickmister

chickmister Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    WI
    The color is almost perfect for a cream legbar pullet..............(not likely though [​IMG])

9. loprettaerin

loprettaerin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Lonedell, Missouri
    Are you sure she is not a golden salmon maran. I raise them also they are a project color of mine. I just keep looking at the picture and she really looks like she has the salmon breast color to me in the pictures.

Do you remember what she looked like as a Chick did she look chipmonked color as she was a baby?

10. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    She looks like my welsumers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by