Is this a Meat Chicken?

If my other chickens had Marek's without symptoms and I didn't know it, then how can I know it???????? My crystal ball no longer works.
That's the problem with vaccinating poultry. They don't work the same way that they do in mammals. Vaccinating poultry does not prevent the spread of illnesses, nor do the vaccines keep the bird from contracting the illness.

It may or may not be Marek's and you won't know until you lose a bird and send it for a necropsy.
Please read through ALL of this:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ement-poultry/vitamin-deficiencies-in-poultry

Pay attention to the 'signs' some deficiencies cause. There are a few that could possible be what you are seeing in this bird with his walking on hocks.

I suggest Nutri Drench because it is absorbed into the blood stream and doesn't need to be digested like most other vitamins.

If its Marek's there is not much you can do but :fl
Trying vitamins may or may not work but it won't hurt.

Thursday evening update. I went out to check my sick bird and he was standing up! He didn't stay standing up for a long time, but he was standing. I was out with the girls for about an hour and he stood up three times, for maybe 2 minutes each time. He's still eating lots and drinking fine. His poop look entirely normal. Maybe he just needed vitamins! I put them in everyone's water, figured it couldn't hurt! I'll keep you posted. . . :celebrate :wee :celebrate

Thursday evening update. I went out to check my sick bird and he was standing up! He didn't stay standing up for a long time, but he was standing. I was out with the girls for about an hour and he stood up three times, for maybe 2 minutes each time. He's still eating lots and drinking fine. His poop look entirely normal. Maybe he just needed vitamins! I put them in everyone's water, figured it couldn't hurt! I'll keep you posted. . . :celebrate :wee :celebrate
I'm thinking if it is vitamin related he may recover faster if you dose him directly to the beak and not just by adding it to his water.

Friday morning. I went to take Pearl out of the coop and found him standing in the run! I fed the flock and he is walking and acting pretty normal again. He does stop and sit/lay down every 5 minutes or so, but that is OK with me! Looks like it's not Marek's after all.
standing small.jpg standing, walking, eating small.jpg My happiness is complete!
:ya :ya :ya :ya

It may or may not be Marek's and you won't know until you lose a bird and send it for a necropsy.
Please read through ALL of this:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ement-poultry/vitamin-deficiencies-in-poultry

Pay attention to the 'signs' some deficiencies cause. There are a few that could possible be what you are seeing in this bird with his walking on hocks.

I suggest Nutri Drench because it is absorbed into the blood stream and doesn't need to be digested like most other vitamins.
BTY: I sent husband to Tractor Supply for Nutri Drench and they didn't have it. He had to get something else you put in their water. :hmm

We had several chickens that had walking issues here on the farm. Found out my housemate was feeding them too much corn and they had a nutrient deficiency. We cut out all the treats and started them on vitamin water. It took a week or two, but they got back to normal in the end. Good luck, I hope that's all it is!

Back
Top Bottom