Is this a Pekin or Rouen Egg ?, But laid in Pool !

ladychicken&Ducklover

Songster
8 Years
May 21, 2011
Champion, Michigan
Hello,

I have 1 Pekin duck , 1 Rouen drake and 1 Rouen duck, along with their 2 Barred Rock hens that just started laying 3 weeks ago.

The ducks ARE at laying age.

I have several other hens, but they are living separately from the ducks and " their " 2 girls.

OK, so I have a huge kiddie pool that the ducks spend most of their day splashing around in.

2 days ago, my son was draining the pool, and their was an egg at the bottom of the pool !!!

Oh my..

I candled it, and its not fertile.

Its white , ( the picture is deceiving since there was a Shadow that I could not get out of there ) ,
he.gif
, and measures 1.5 in width and 2.2 in . in length.

It looks just like a medium size chicken egg.

My questions are .:

Is this a normal size for a Pekin or a Rouen egg??

Does it sound like a Pekin since its white??

Why would she lay her eggs in a Pool and how do I break her of that and make her do it in her nest??

Any answers and feedback will be great..

Thanks all

92756_kiwi_or_bonnie2.jpg

Last edited:
Is it brown? If so, that's most likely a chicken egg. Some ducks can lay brownish eggs but Pekins and Rouens are not one of them. Generally, Pekins lay white eggs and Rouens lay white or blue-green eggs.

ETA: Sorry, I see that you say it is white. Given the size I'd say it's probably a Rouen egg since they are generally smaller than a Pekin's egg...at least with my ducks.

ETA again: My Pekins' eggs are bigger than a 'large' chicken egg, they won't hardly fit in the cartons. Though it could be a pullet (smaller than normal) egg.

Last edited:
I don't see a picture, is there one attached? The only thing I can answer is yes ducks do and will lay eggs is water. Weird right!

I don't see a picture, is there one attached? The only thing I can answer is yes ducks do and will lay eggs is water. Weird right!

Hi.
I had forgot to attach the picture the first time I posted..

Sorry..

The egg is white and the size of a medium chicken egg.. Not big at all..

The one she laid today, well...It was DELICIOUS..

I scrambled it up and noticed how it seems fluffier than a chicken egg..

Now I see it! I would think it's a Rouen egg. Pekin eggs would be white right? I'm not positive, I don't own either of those breeds.

It cant be a chicken egg if it was layed in a pool!
gig.gif
gig.gif
it does look like one though. My rouen duck just started laying and she lays bluish white eggs, not brown. What kind of chickens do you have?

Back
Top Bottom