Is this a polish?

scootapoot

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 17, 2013
Hi! I just picked up a pair of tolbunt polish. The roo looks exactly as he should. The hen doesn't...she is missing her poof. I've looked allover and can't find anything about a polish not having a crest. She has nice muffs and a nice beard. Very petite compared to the roo. But no poof! Is their a chance that she isn't a tolbunt polish? Also, she is more of an orange instead of a rich red like the roo....what do u think? I was told they are 3rd generation from greenfire farms? Thanks in advance! :)

L

I believe it is a polish, since the tolbunt polish is still in the early stages, pet quality birds are still to be expected, and this would be culled from any good breeding programs, but they make perfectly good pets. It looks like it has a tiny crest, its not smooth in the front.

Poop :) I kinda thought of that :-/ I saw orloff when I started researching to! That's what I was thinking she was. I'm not a fancy breeder or anything. Would it be bad if I bred them? If she was bred with a nice enough rooster could I get decent babies? Can she throw poofy babies? I'm new to this, but my intention was to breed. Only reason I bought them (other then they are beautiful!) they are both super sweet and I love them both already :) but I don't wan to breed and mislead anyone who buys babies that they are pure polish if theirs a chance thy aren't. Guess I got some learnin to do....what exactly does 3rd

generation mean?

Here's the roo...I paid $40 for the pair, plus a trade of 2 favorelle chicks.......:/

3rd generation means that the birds you purchased was on the third generation away from greenfire. Greenfire sent chicks to someone, someone breed those birds. So those are the second generation, and thos were bred and then you got 3rd generation, anything could have been between greenfire and when you got them. If you are breeding to better the breed, I wouldn't use her and find someone else, but if that is the only one you can find, use her until you get a good hen to use. She's got the correct coloring, but her type is wrong, and that is the hardest part to fix. You want to build the house before you paint it, basically you want good type, and then go for color, if you go for color only, its not going to be a good representation to the breed.

The russian orloff in her was probably used to 'paint' the house, to increase the mottling, or white tips in the feathers. You would have to do a lot of crossing back to the polish to correct type, which could take years, so I would personally just get another hen unless you want to spend years fixing type.

Last edited:
Thanks for the description :) that makes sense! I haven't bred anything before, just kid of starting out. I do really want to try to get babies that have crests for myself :-/ the ones I sell will probably be just for pets. I just want to learn what I can though....I don't want to sell babies to someone, and misguide them on what im selling them....not sure where I can get another one! lol did I pay to much? Merrp....I guess on the bright side they are both really sweet! I will look around and see if I can did another tolbunt hen...but from what I looked up before, that's probably going to be impossible....

Back
Top Bottom