Is this a racing pigeon? Advice please?

The bands in your picture look more like generic plastic bands, not formal group bands, but I can’t tell for sure. Is there something printed on them?
The US National Pigeon Association bands were red in 2020.
2021 are white
2019 were black
View attachment 2861250
It's a red band aluminum. The yellow one is plastic.

I hope that the owner actually really wants their bird back. I'd hate for it to become a homeless bird. Not to mention we'd be stuck with a bird we don't know how to properly care for.
If a pigeon doesn’t finish a race it may be abandoned in the sense that it never returns home to its owner. Its very true that there are some owners who don’t have interest in getting back a bird that got lost, but I think it’s unfair to all the other responsible pigeon owners that would want their birds back to assume that everyone is like this. Before I began keeping pigeons I reunited three separate injured racing pigeons with their owners, and out of the three only one of the owners seemed reluctant to take the bird back but eventually came and did so. One pigeon I found was from a big racing loft about 80 miles away, and the owner actually sent me a shipping box that they paid for to mail the bird back to them. So I think it all depends on the owner of the bird, but you should make your best attempt to reunite the pigeon with its owner unless they are uninterested

If a pigeon doesn’t finish a race it may be abandoned in the sense that it never returns home to its owner. Its very true that there are some owners who don’t have interest in getting back a bird that got lost, but I think it’s unfair to all the other responsible pigeon owners that would want their birds back to assume that everyone is like this. Before I began keeping pigeons I reunited three separate injured racing pigeons with their owners, and out of the three only one of the owners seemed reluctant to take the bird back but eventually came and did so. One pigeon I found was from a big racing loft about 80 miles away, and the owner actually sent me a shipping box that they paid for to mail the bird back to them. So I think it all depends on the owner of the bird, but you should make your best attempt to reunite the pigeon with its owner unless they are uninterested
We are planning to do that already. From what I can tell, the year on the band said 2021. Didn't look at the code good yet.

Full code is AU 2021 SRI 385

The AU refers to the association I need to call to contact the owner??

Yup, that’s the club I expected it was from. AU refers to the American Racing pigeon union, the 2021 is the year of birth, SRI is the club code, and the other numbers are the pigeons individual number.
Here’s their contact information:

Attachments

• C45797C2-8CC1-4BB4-89E2-4321185635CD.png
    C45797C2-8CC1-4BB4-89E2-4321185635CD.png
    486.1 KB · Views: 8
  • CA890863-B9D3-4A4E-A636-F46B7CEB6C49.png
    CA890863-B9D3-4A4E-A636-F46B7CEB6C49.png
    464 KB · Views: 8
There can be many reasons a pigeon gets lost in a race. Weather,,,,,,, Microwave emitting towers, are considered suspect in pigeon navigation. Raptor pursuits will often steer pigeon off course. Bird gets tired out in race due to many factors. Large bodies of water often steer pigeon in wrong direction. Pigeons will not cross large bodies of water. to correct their flight path. I have read posts where pigeon ends up (is found) somewhere in Wisconsin,,,,, but home is somewhere in mainland Michigan. The race started somewhere south of there.

Many GENUINE RACERS still want their lost birds,,,,,, for future breeding purposes,,, even though they got lost.

There can be many reasons a pigeon gets lost in a race. Weather,,,,,,, Microwave emitting towers, are considered suspect in pigeon navigation. Raptor pursuits will often steer pigeon off course. Bird gets tired out in race due to many factors. Large bodies of water often steer pigeon in wrong direction. Pigeons will not cross large bodies of water. to correct their flight path. I have read posts where pigeon ends up (is found) somewhere in Wisconsin,,,,, but home is somewhere in mainland Michigan. The race started somewhere south of there.

Many GENUINE RACERS still want their lost birds,,,,,, for future breeding purposes,,, even though they got lost.
Not that this is needed now, but I just found this helpful page on the NPA website
http://www.npausa.com/customer_service/found_pigeon.html
Be happy to know we talked with the owner. He'll be coming to get it tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom