Is this a racing pigeon? Advice please?

Anime2lover

Keeper of tiny dinos
Apr 17, 2019
I read the sticky thread about finding lost pigeons, but I don't know if this is a racing pigeon. I found it hopping around outside on my back deck. Needed to catch it so my dog doesn't eat it instead. My question is, is this a racing pigeon? Or a fancy pigeon? Or someone's pet??

Hey I’m also from Rhode Island, I know of one of the clubs around here that happens to use red bands, could very well be one of theirs. Can you post the digits written on the band?
The pigeon doesn’t need to be inside because of the cold factor but I would personally bring the bird inside in case a weasel or similar varmint decided to try to enter the dog kennel.
and yes it is a Homing pigeon - aka racer. Any grain or even bird seed could be fed to it.

Pigeon can eat any chicken scratch, or chicken feed,,, since you are in a bind for getting regular pigeon feed. Wild bird mix is an acceptable feed.
The red permanent band may be a designated year it was used in. That year should also be printed on band. Some pigeon associations used red color in 2018.
If you do find owner of bird,,,, ask if they really want the bird returned. Not all are willing to have their lost bird back,,,:idunno and some don't want,,, or if returned,, bird does not get treated well. :(
It is up to you what you decide to do with pigeon>>>.
Many like QWERTY were happy to have pigeon returned.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Hey I’m also from Rhode Island, I know of one of the clubs around here that happens to use red bands, could very well be one of theirs. Can you post the digits written on the band?
The pigeon doesn’t need to be inside because of the cold factor but I would personally bring the bird inside in case a weasel or similar varmint decided to try to enter the dog kennel.

and yes it is a Homing pigeon - aka racer. Any grain or even bird seed could be fed to it.
Would game bird crumble work??

I can get the bird's numbers and codes on the band tomorrow. There's a red band and a yellow one.

I hope that the owner actually really wants their bird back. I'd hate for it to become a homeless bird. Not to mention we'd be stuck with a bird we don't know how to properly care for.
If a pigeon doesn’t finish a race it may be abandoned in the sense that it never returns home to its owner. Its very true that there are some owners who don’t have interest in getting back a bird that got lost, but I think it’s unfair to all the other responsible pigeon owners that would want their birds back to assume that everyone is like this. Before I began keeping pigeons I reunited three separate injured racing pigeons with their owners, and out of the three only one of the owners seemed reluctant to take the bird back but eventually came and did so. One pigeon I found was from a big racing loft about 80 miles away, and the owner actually sent me a shipping box that they paid for to mail the bird back to them. So I think it all depends on the owner of the bird, but you should make your best attempt to reunite the pigeon with its owner unless they are uninterested

Back
Top Bottom