Is this a racing pigeon? Advice please?

Hey I’m also from Rhode Island, I know of one of the clubs around here that happens to use red bands, could very well be one of theirs. Can you post the digits written on the band?
The pigeon doesn’t need to be inside because of the cold factor but I would personally bring the bird inside in case a weasel or similar varmint decided to try to enter the dog kennel.

Hey I’m also from Rhode Island, I know of one of the clubs around here that happens to use red bands, could very well be one of theirs. Can you post the digits written on the band?
The pigeon doesn’t need to be inside because of the cold factor but I would personally bring the bird inside in case a weasel or similar varmint decided to try to enter the dog kennel.
and yes it is a Homing pigeon - aka racer. Any grain or even bird seed could be fed to it.

and yes it is a Homing pigeon - aka racer. Any grain or even bird seed could be fed to it.
Would game bird crumble work??

I can get the bird's numbers and codes on the band tomorrow. There's a red band and a yellow one.

Pigeon can eat any chicken scratch, or chicken feed,,, since you are in a bind for getting regular pigeon feed. Wild bird mix is an acceptable feed.
The red permanent band may be a designated year it was used in. That year should also be printed on band. Some pigeon associations used red color in 2018.
If you do find owner of bird,,,, ask if they really want the bird returned. Not all are willing to have their lost bird back,,,:idunno and some don't want,,, or if returned,, bird does not get treated well. :(
It is up to you what you decide to do with pigeon>>>.
Many like QWERTY were happy to have pigeon returned.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Pigeon can eat any chicken scratch, or chicken feed,,, since you are in a bind for getting regular pigeon feed. Wild bird mix is an acceptable feed.
The red permanent band may be a designated year it was used in. That year should also be printed on band. Some pigeon associations used red color in 2018.
If you do find owner of bird,,,, ask if they really want the bird returned. Not all are willing to have their lost bird back,,,:idunno and some don't want,,, or if returned,, bird does not get treated well. :(

I've heard that if a racing pigeon doesn't finish a race that they are often abandoned. Is that true??

I hope that the owner actually really wants their bird back. I'd hate for it to become a homeless bird. Not to mention we'd be stuck with a bird we don't know how to properly care for.

The bands in your picture look more like generic plastic bands, not formal group bands, but I can’t tell for sure. Is there something printed on them?
The US National Pigeon Association bands were red in 2020.
2021 are white
2019 were black
18349D88-1414-4B48-A491-297E90F97895.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom