Is this a Red Sexlink?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by melindax4, Sep 14, 2012.

1. melindax4

melindax4 New Egg

Sep 14, 2012
    I have two chickens that both of the previous owners say are red sexlinks but they look very different. Which one is which and what is the other one? I was told they are both girls and the lighter one was supposed to be laying but hasn't. In the past couple days her legs and feet have turned a reddish color.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2 pics of my sexlink. Its hard to tell for sure by your pics but the 2nd pic looks a lot like my hen. The 1st pic might be a RIR ( rhode island red ) or poss a young Roo. Good luck :)

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Hi welcome to BYC.
    Did the seller say they were first generation crosses?

4. juliefarms

juliefarms Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2012
    Love the little chick pic :) cute!!

5. melindax4

melindax4 New Egg

Sep 14, 2012
    The seller just told me they were red sexlinks. However the person who sold me the lighter one also sold me a sumatra/ameracauna mix that was supposed to be a girl and he started crowing a few weeks ago.

6. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    I would expect that a red sex link pullet would be red. A sex link is a cross that produces chicks that can be identified by color at hatching, When they are bred they can, being mutts themselves produce anything. She still will probably be a good layer. The parent breeds used are usually good layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by