Is this a rooster or a pullet?

Jenneh85

Songster
8 Years
Jun 12, 2015
Phoenix
The comb on this chick doesnt look anything like the other 3 with it, and doesnt remind me of the other 2 full grown ameraucana chickens I hand raised.

Some help would be awesome.

Here are some better pictures of Peep and a female next to it.

This is the reason I think it is a he.

This is a face shot of Peep showing off the comb in question.

The female above it here has a flush comb like my 2 older females did when they were pullets.

Now two beaks for comparison, see the bumps in Peeps but not in Spots?

Again with the frontal comb shot, are these bumps proof of a Rooster?

A shot of Spot just for comparison.

comb comparison.

This is the best shots I could get right now, as they are still very young and "hyper".

I just want to find out of Peep is a Rooster.

Last edited:
It's kind of hard at this age to tell if they are a pullet or a cockerel, but I think the bumps you are seeing on it's comb is just the type of comb that it has. That being said, compared to the other chicks, Peep's comb looks to be redder.

It was the same when I got all 3 of them, then out of no where the redness came in and the bumps were more noticeable.

how old do they have to be to be able to gage the gender?

That is a lot of comb development for such a young chick, and it's starting to pink up. I think it's going to be a cockerel.

When I got Peep the come looked smaller but still had bumps like that but wasnt red, about close to two weeks ago it started getting redder and bumpier.

The lady at the place I bought them said there was a way to tell but holding them and turning them over onto their backs in your hand, Spot and Scaredy dont freak out but Peep doesnt like being turned over.

I dont know if this is true or not but i'd thought id mention it.

This comb reminds me allot of Peep and this is a actual MALE Ameraucana. Hence why I already think Peep is a he.

That's a dark color for such a young chick. I'm thinking it's a cockerel.
it looked like a chipmunk went i got it the other 2 were more blonde in fuzz compared to Peep, Peep was really dark, and now looking at them I can tell 2 are alike in features and Peep stands out like a sore thumb with that color comb and bumps.

Back
Top Bottom