Is this a sick chick?

So sorry about the chick, I feel so bad for both you and her. I hope that she makes it.
sad.png

A lot of people have been posting about sick/lethargic chicks. Unfortunate that it's such a common problem.
I had a salmon faverolle chick that acted much the same after arriving from a long journey through the postal service
somad.gif

Hydration is the key, I think. I felt that administering drops of water (with added vitamins and electrolytes) was more important than feed (at least in the short term) so I didn't force mash or yolks on her (I offered, but she balked)--plus, it only served to stress her out more.

Also, I found a product called Poultry Nutri-Drench at my feed store. It's vitamins in a molasses base and it raises the chick's blood sugar and gives them a quickly-absorbed boost of vitamins and energy.
The chick really seemed to snap back after a day or two of that stuff. I mixed it in the water, and it can also be administered directly with the dropper. I wish I'd had it on the first day of their arrival.
The Faverolle still seems to favor the warmer part of the brooder, and she's developmentally behind the other chicks (maybe because she's kept herself warmer?), but she's now more in sync with them--eating when they eat, snoozing when they snooze...
I can actually stop worrying about her, I think, which is a relief.
Today I noticed her wing feathers have finally shown some real growth, too!
I'm not a saleperson for the Nutri-Drench company or anything
big_smile.png
I just had a good experience with the stuff, and plan to keep it on hand for anytime my girls might need a boost, or any future chick orders I may have.
Not saying it would help every chick (who knows what really causes some of these issues?) but it can't hurt, either.

Quote:
When I put mine down in that fuzzy bootie I think she thought it was like momma and she just snuggled in and slept so contentedly. My 2 sickly babies seem to appreciate the chance to sleep in the slipper and not b disturbed. I think that extra sleep helped a lot. Like I said, they fit the whole way down in the bootie and I layed a washcloth over the top of them to help keep the warmth in. Good luck. I would keep trying to push fluids as much as possible. Keep us posted!
hugs.gif

Cocci is going around bad this year, I have lost 3 in one week to it, I did start meds but for those 3 it did not help. Very sad to see them like that, mine was lifeless also, all it did was sleep, I could not get it to eat and I had to force water down it, but they finally died.

Sorry to hear that. I lost one that acted very similar a few days ago. I ordered vitamins but they just came today
sad.png
How much would you put in 1/2 gallon of water?

Back
Top Bottom