Is this a Splash Orpington Pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ColtHandorf, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    It’s a single comb that has lost all its points.

ChickNanny13 and HuffleClaw like this.
  2. MysteryChicken

MysteryChicken Songster

May 31, 2018
    East, Tawas Michigan
    Looks like a pullet to me. Feathers are all round, & legs are short.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  3. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler

Oct 10, 2016
    Southern Ohio
    That beak looks odd to me.

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  4. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    On closer inspection it appears that the splash chicken has been debeaked.

5. ColtHandorf

ColtHandorf Crowing

Feb 19, 2019
    Commerce, Texas
    You’re right about the beak. Although I don’t think it’s debeaked. I zoomed on my phone and it looks more like an injury or deformity... :/

AlleysChicks likes this.
  6. Faraday40

Faraday40 Free Ranging

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    I looked through the pics & yes, it looks like a splash and a female. It looks like a rose comb, so could be an orp mix or another breed. If it's a pure orpington, it could be hatchery quality with severe frostbite loss. It looks much thinner than most of your/my orps.

Here's my blue that hatched in Dec - just turned 7 months.
    IMG_8573 copy.jpg
    This orp pullet is being used for my blue SLO project. I'd send her down to you if I didn't already promise her to someone.

She'll continue to "fill out" and about 12-18 months old, she'll look like this:
    blue orp.jpg This is "Jewel."

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  7. Faraday40

Faraday40 Free Ranging

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    @ColtHandorf
    BTW-
    Can you see the thicker lacing? She's 1/2 SLO, so I'm breeding her to my SLO.

Here's the 1st sucess:
    IMG_8474 copy.jpg
    Chick looks SLO but lighter gray. We'll see how it feathers out.:fl Probably a partial laced blue SLO.

8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  9. homeschoolin momma

homeschoolin momma Songster

Jun 28, 2017
    Illinois
    My thoughts...shes a pretty splash color. Her head and body look orp to me. Her legs are a little light, but that could still change a little and darken, but not a whole bunch. She is young and I would peg her around 6-7 mo maybe, especially after seeing Faradays pictures of her blue pullet. But then i also know that Jewel is ginormous as are her babies, so that is why I'm saying a range of 6-7 mo.

However. Her comb is messed up. If shes closer to the 7 mo, that means she was born in December. Comb would start really showing a little in February/march. Would she really have been at risk of frostbite in Texas at that time? Illinois, yes maybe, especially this past winter, but how cold were you down there? I'm thinking probably not that cold for that severe of frostbite leading to the messed up comb. Therefore something else is off. Either she's got a deformity or a mix with something else. But since her beak also has a deformity, I'm leaning toward the first. Since shes over an hour away, and you cant get any good reliable information from the owners, I'd pass on adding her.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  10. ColtHandorf

ColtHandorf Crowing

Feb 19, 2019
    Commerce, Texas
    She is a very well-marked Splash and I did hear back from the person about her beak. The bird was debeaked before it was given to them. They think it is barbaric and apparently the process wasn’t done correctly as it is growing back.

When they found out how long the drive was they’ve offered two hens for $15. Lol I was really considering it yesterday, but a much more local breeder returned an inquiry and they have gorgeous blue Orpingtons (as well as black and splash). Four month olds are $20 each but at least I’m confident that they are actually Orpingtons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: