Is this a Splash Orpington Pullet?

You know the more I look and think about it...her comb looks poorly dubbed. I wonder if someone was practicing on her? That would explain the odd comb and the bad debeaking job. In a period of like five minutes I’ve almost convinced myself to go get her just so she can have a nice life. Lol

a much more local breeder returned an inquiry and they have gorgeous blue Orpingtons (as well as black and splash). Four month olds are $20 each but at least I’m confident that they are actually Orpingtons.
That honestly sounds like a much better deal. If you invest in good quality birds from the start, you won't regret it. ...and $20 for a decent pullet is a very, very good price! Once a bad trait is introduced into your breeding flock, it's a lot more work to get it out.

Plus, it's a good idea to know orp owners & breeders near you. You may become friends and swap eggs/chicks in the future. I have several people around me who have my birds. If something terrible happened to the ones I have here, I know I could count on my friends to help me restart my line.

You know the more I look and think about it...her comb looks poorly dubbed. I wonder if someone was practicing on her? That would explain the odd comb and the bad debeaking job. In a period of like five minutes I’ve almost convinced myself to go get her just so she can have a nice life. Lol
You could be right about someone "practicing" on her, or perhaps she just had a rough start in life. She may make a nice layer or backyard pet, but I'd be careful about taking in any bird - especially one that hasn't had the best of care. You could introduce something harmful to your flock. Do you have a way of keeping any new hen(s) in isolation for a month? Do you have a separate laying flock for her to join? I wouldn't recommend using her for breeding, since your birds are already superior.

The more local breeder sounds much better and if they also have splash (which you are wanting) i would go and take a look there. I agree with Faraday about having someone closer to you for chick/egg swapping. Sometimes its just nice to go over and have someone to just talk chicken with!:duc
I know you want to rescue the poor little girl in the above pictures, but unless you have a separate space to keep her away from your primary breeders, it could prove to be more of a hassle.

I've been told she's 8-9 months. I don't think the bird is that old. I agree the comb is odd. I'm wondering if it's just a bad photo.It has an Orpington head to me. And looks like an unfinished one. It needs more growing to fill out. I'm just undecided about tossing her into my project if she's not pure. Although any extra hens for the rooster's to spread their love over would be nice.
If it’s 8-9 months it should be laying or crowing by now.

I wasn't asking whether the bird was male or female. The fact that it is a pullet is obvious to anyone who looks at it. I was asking whether or not people felt that it was a Splash Orpington. I added "pullet" to the title in order to stop multiple replies where people were guessing gender.

I do have somewhere she could stay away from my Silver-laced and Lavenders, but I think I've convinced myself to pass on her despite her being poorly cared for by a previous owner.

Now that you mention it, I do need about four more pens...lol Seriously I'd like to get a variety of larger hens for extra Orpington roosters to cover, specifically Sterling, who I'd like to retire when I get a male with his size and the correct leg color (white) and with more floof. He's just such a good boy, and I hate to not keep him around.

Back
Top Bottom