Is this a Splash Orpington Pullet?

ColtHandorf

🙄🤚 Sass Master
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Feb 19, 2019
Klondike, Texas
I happened to find this bird on Craiglist yesterday. Her current owner doesn't know what she is as she was given to her by a friend. The friend when queried couldn't remember, but thought it was a Splash Orpington. I've never had any. What do you all think?

@Faraday40 @The Moonshiner @speckledhen

00N0N_9W1krJgu6tZ_1200x900.jpg

This is the extent of the advertisement.

"3 healthy young hens. $10 each or trade for chickens."

This bird, a Lakenvelder, and a Blue-laced Red Wyandotte are pictured. I've asked for the age to see if I can get anymore information.

I've had absolutely no luck tracking down any B/B/S Orpingtons anywhere near me and that is the only reason I'm considering making the hour plus drive to get her.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/for/6936199370.html

The comb seems to have no points. It's splash. Legs are white. Could be an Orpington, but should have 5 comb points...frostbite, maybe? Or a combo single-pea or single-rose comb can look that way, like the base of a single comb w/o points and it be a cross. Now, there are blue/black/splash Wyandottes, but that bird is not pure for rose comb if it is and legs would be yellow. Unless it's a cross and the white skin, being dominant, came out. Hmm.

I've been told she's 8-9 months. I don't think the bird is that old. I agree the comb is odd. I'm wondering if it's just a bad photo.It has an Orpington head to me. And looks like an unfinished one. It needs more growing to fill out. I'm just undecided about tossing her into my project if she's not pure. Although any extra hens for the rooster's to spread their love over would be nice.

That looks like a rose comb to me. Am I seeing that right? I've asked them to confirm if it's like the Buff Orpington's or the Blue-laced Red Wyandotte's. I'm waiting to hear back.

Attachments

• IMG_1334.jpg
    IMG_1334.jpg
    719.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1336.jpg
    IMG_1336.jpg
    913.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1337.jpg
    IMG_1337.jpg
    759 KB · Views: 23

Back
Top Bottom