Splash Orpington or Delaware Orpington ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Episode 1 Applause GIF by Friends
Well Done Bravo GIF by Friends

A very valid point. :)

What does Bob living in the UK have anything to do with his description of HIS WORK? IF these is misnamed, what do you call them? "Delaware Orpingtons" which have been here and bred here in the states WITHOUT ANY UK blood! MADE in the USA!

1670867877317.png

They should be called Barred Columbian English Orpingtons. Again, Delaware is not a color. To call them Delaware Orpingtons is incorrect.

As far as the bird in the photo you just posted, it isn’t Barred Columbian. It has partial lacing. Sports like this sometimes appear in Silver-laced bloodlines. Much like Recessive White. There have been several posted on this site if I cared to search to find them.

They should be called Barred Columbian English Orpingtons. Again, Delaware is not a color. To call them Delaware Orpingtons is incorrect.

As far as the bird in the photo you just posted, it isn’t Barred Columbian. It has partial lacing. Sports like this sometimes appear in Silver-laced bloodlines. Much like Recessive White. There have been several posted on this site if I cared to search to find them.
That pic was taken over a dozen years ago! Posted to show you all how to make DELAWARE Orpingtons & the time it takes to do so.
Bob Follows called them DELAWARE Orpingtons,
Keith of Keiths Orps called them DELAWARE Orpingtons,
Essex Orpingtons calls them DELAWARE Orpingtons.
Who am I to call them any different.
And WHO ARE TO SAY they should not be called DELAWARE Orpingtons? :lol:

That pic was taken over a dozen years ago! Posted to show you all how to make DELAWARE Orpingtons & the time it takes to do so.
Bob Follows called them DELAWARE Orpingtons,
Keith of Keiths Orps called them DELAWARE Orpingtons,
Essex Orpingtons calls them DELAWARE Orpingtons.
Who am I to call them any different.
And WHO ARE TO SAY they should not be called DELAWARE Orpingtons? :lol:
The variety of English orpington called a delaware orpington definitely exists, it just isn’t the same as the chicken this thread is about (the one on the first post). A chicken from a hatchery is much more likely to be the common Delaware breed than a rare and specific variety called a delaware orpington.

The variety of English orpington called a delaware orpington definitely exists, it just isn’t the same as the chicken this thread is about (the one on the first post). A chicken from a hatchery is much more likely to be the breed Delaware than a specific variety called a delaware orpington.
Especially in the US. Hatcheries don't put that amount of time or money into developing colors for breeds.

The variety of English orpington called a delaware orpington definitely exists, it just isn’t the same as the chicken this thread is about (the one on the first post). A chicken from a hatchery is much more likely to be the breed Delaware than a specific variety called a delaware orpington.
This is a Delaware. With YELLOW skin. The ones I posted are WHITE skinned. Orpington is a BREED, the variety we are referring too is called Delaware due to the resemblance in plumage. Nothing more nothing less!

1670870688597.png

This is a Delaware. With YELLOW skin. The ones I posted are WHITE skinned. Orpington is a BREED, the variety we are referring too is called Delaware due to the resemblance in plumage. Nothing more nothing less!

View attachment 3348005
Hatchery quality Delawares often have white skin. I’m not saying the pictures you’ve posted aren’t orpingtons. All I’m saying is that the chicken in the first post, which this thread is about, is just a Delaware since she came from tractor supply. The hatcheries that tractor supply gets chicks from do not carry rare delaware orpingtons.

Hatchery quality Delawares often have white skin. I’m not saying the pictures you’ve posted aren’t orpingtons. All I’m saying is that the chicken in the first post, which this thread is about, is just a Delaware since she came from tractor supply. The hatcheries that tractor supply gets chicks from do not carry rare delaware orpingtons.
So, are you saying I got this bird from a Hatchery? Please inform US ALL what hatchery has these?

This should be good! :lol::lau
DSCN6757.JPG

I have talked to Bob Follows. His education is way HIGHER then yours!

Are you *quite* certain about that?

100% certain?

Orpington is a BREED, the variety we are referring too is called Delaware due to the resemblance in plumage. Nothing more nothing less!

Delaware is a state in the US. Delaware chickens are a US dual purpose breed once used as a broiler before the development of the Cornish Cross meat birds. The unusual color pattern of a Delaware chicken is Barred Colombian.

Delaware is not a color pattern.

People can misuse terms all they like and frequently DO misuse them for marketing purposes, but those lovely Orpingtons's color pattern is correctly termed "Barred Colombian". Misnaming the color pattern "Delaware" is exactly like hatcheries calling their Easter Eggers "Americana" to associate them with the Ameraucana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom