Is this abnormal feather development?

SpicyNiblet

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2023
My chicks will be 5 wks old on Wednesday, August 9, 2023. One of my Buff Orpingtons is fully feathered out and is all soft and fluffy. These two are raggedy looking by comparison. The 11 chicks are in a 5x7 ft tent, so lots of space. I also let them "free range" in the safety of the basement 3 times a day.

Am I going something wrong? Are these two just slower to grow their feathers?
PXL_20230807_195822987.jpg
PXL_20230807_195733912.jpg

Natural light/sunlight is very important for their overall health and development.
Lack thereof causes a multitude of problems:

"Feathering is usually poor, and an abnormal banding of feathers may be seen in colored breeds. With chronic vitamin D3 deficiency, marked skeletal disorders are noted. The spinal column may bend downward and the sternum may deviate to one side."
Source: Vitamin Deficiencies in Poultry - Poultry - MSD Veterinary Manual https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultr...ement-poultry/vitamin-deficiencies-in-poultry

Natural light/sunlight is very important for their overall health and development.
Lack thereof causes a multitude of problems:

"Feathering is usually poor, and an abnormal banding of feathers may be seen in colored breeds. With chronic vitamin D3 deficiency, marked skeletal disorders are noted. The spinal column may bend downward and the sternum may deviate to one side."
Source: Vitamin Deficiencies in Poultry - Poultry - MSD Veterinary Manual https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultr...ement-poultry/vitamin-deficiencies-in-poultry
That is a bit terrifying and I feel as though I'm failing my chickids! Their outdoor playpen will be here tomorrow. Would it be appropriate to give them the vitamin supplement in their water?

My chicks will be 5 wks old on Wednesday, August 9, 2023. One of my Buff Orpingtons is fully feathered out and is all soft and fluffy. These two are raggedy looking by comparison. The 11 chicks are in a 5x7 ft tent, so lots of space. I also let them "free range" in the safety of the basement 3 times a day.

Am I going something wrong? Are these two just slower to grow their feathers?
Some chickens do grow their feathers slower than others.
There is a gene called "slow feathering" that causes exactly that. It is common in some breeds and rare in others.

If the chicks seem otherwise healthy, they are probably fine.

Back
Top Bottom