Is This Ameraucana Chick A Pullet or Cockerel?

Happy Birthday!
smile.png
hugs.gif

I just got back from my trip last night, and Blue's comb has gotten bigger and redder, so I'm assuming boy. I might be able to add more recent pics in a little while. But the thing I'm confused on is that the boys are supposed to have 3 rows on the comb, but blue only has one row....Can roosters only have one row on the comb, or is it always 3? Sorry I'm really new to ameraucanas...

I have determined Blue is a boy. His comb has (obviously) gotten bigger and darker pink, plus his face(what I can see because of his beard and muffs) is getting dark pink. I also see pointed semi-translucent saddle and hackle feathers coming in. Also acting like a male. He's also getting in some red feathers on his neck and breast. I think he will be very pretty. I was originally going to sell him when he was older because I am not a fan of plain blue roosters, but now that I see the red coming in i am kind of exited.

I have another question. Even though I do not intend to show him, is red leakage in the blue feathers a disqualification? And should they not have it if they are true ameraucanas? I have his brother who is 2 months older. He is a splash and has buff/gold leakage in his shoulders and back. I'm just wondering if this is a bad color trait in them.

Thanks

Does it have a tail? if it does it's a pullet., Now it looks like a pullet to me
I was going to ask a question about this...I have a group of EEs that were all supposed be be pullets and two don't have tails -- they're about 2 months old now. None with obvious peacombs yet, but I'm still assuming the two tail-less wonders are cockerels. lol

I was going to ask a question about this...I have a group of EEs that were all supposed be be pullets and two don't have tails -- they're about 2 months old now. None with obvious peacombs yet, but I'm still assuming the two tail-less wonders are cockerels. lol
Oh. Blue had a tail. He has one of the biggest tail of the group. I had always assumed that most roosters feathered in slower and didn't really get much for a tail until they were older but now I have about 3 boys who feathered in the same as their sisters(two of which being modern game bantams). You can post a pic of them on this thread and we can try to figure out the genders. I wouldn't mind you adding onto the thread; then you don't have to start a new one :)

Yep. I would guess the 2 without combs as cockerels. The pea comb is so small that you can barely see it, at least that's what happened to me and i thought i had 2 pullets.

Oh. Blue had a tail. He has one of the biggest tail of the group. I had always assumed that most roosters feathered in slower and didn't really get much for a tail until they were older but now I have about 3 boys who feathered in the same as their sisters(two of which being modern game bantams). You can post a pic of them on this thread and we can try to figure out the genders. I wouldn't mind you adding onto the thread; then you don't have to start a new one :)
pullet.

AM cockerels have a triple comb, if it's a single, and based on pics, it looks like pullet (I would need to see more recent too). As for leakage, yes, it QDs from showing. It doesn't mean it came from "bad stock" necessarily, but leakage isn't good (sometimes it happens randomly from what I understand).

Back
Top Bottom