Is this an aggressive Rooster

RMBGKY

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 29, 2010
Bowling Green, KY
I have 16 pullets and 3 cockerels all 14 week old Black Australorps. One of the roosters continually grabs the hens by the back of the neck. I can't tell if it is the same hen or different ones because they all look the same to me. The other 2 roosters don't seem to exhibit this behavior they don't appear to even crow yet. I don't need roosters I just got them to hear them crow. Should I cull this aggressive rooster or is this natural behavior?

There is always a dominate rooster. It sounds like he is the more aggressive one. Hopefully as he matures he will not be so aggressive. If you feel he is causing too much stress with the hens. Perhaps you will have to get rid of him or find him a new home. I hope this helps!

That's pretty normal behavior for a rooster. The younger ones can sometimes be rough at first and then they get better at it with practice and become less rough. Maybe give him a chance, and if he doesn't become more gentle, then re-home him, or make him into a nice chicken soup.....

I expect some roughness in mating when the mounting starts. But this guy will just up and run across the yard and grab a hen by the neak and jerk her. Of course she screams and runs off and then everthing is quiet until the next time. He is a beautiful bird struting around "Saying cock-a-doodle-do" which in chicken means "It is good to be the King!"

1) Can I isolate the Roosters? I have the setup for it.
2) Are there additional issues with selling fertilized eggs as opposed to unfertilized eggs? Like I say I don't plan on raising chicks.

Quote:
?1 Yes you can isolate the roo's and if you want fertile eggs you can give him a couple ladies to get eggs to hatch
?2 There is no difference between fertile or unfertile eggs, you do not need a rooster to have eggs, just if you plan to raise some. The only difference I have ever seen is the white blob in the egg will be more like a target instead of a blob in fertile eggs. They taste exactly the same

I was just curious if you have more issues with blood spots in fertile eggs. I wouldn't expect to have meat spots in infertile eegs. Also some Vegetarians don't want fertilized eggs.

Back
Top Bottom