Is this an aggressive Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RMBGKY, Aug 2, 2011.

1. RMBGKY

RMBGKY Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2010
    Bowling Green, KY
    I have 16 pullets and 3 cockerels all 14 week old Black Australorps. One of the roosters continually grabs the hens by the back of the neck. I can't tell if it is the same hen or different ones because they all look the same to me. The other 2 roosters don't seem to exhibit this behavior they don't appear to even crow yet. I don't need roosters I just got them to hear them crow. Should I cull this aggressive rooster or is this natural behavior?

2. hens4thehudds

hens4thehudds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    I am totally a newbie, but i think that is how they mate:confused:

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

There is always a dominate rooster. It sounds like he is the more aggressive one. Hopefully as he matures he will not be so aggressive. If you feel he is causing too much stress with the hens. Perhaps you will have to get rid of him or find him a new home. I hope this helps!

4. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    That is normal mating behavior.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That's pretty normal behavior for a rooster. The younger ones can sometimes be rough at first and then they get better at it with practice and become less rough. Maybe give him a chance, and if he doesn't become more gentle, then re-home him, or make him into a nice chicken soup.....

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nomal mating behavior. Imagine what it will be like when all 3 cockerels start up.

7. RMBGKY

Nov 29, 2010
    Bowling Green, KY
    I expect some roughness in mating when the mounting starts. But this guy will just up and run across the yard and grab a hen by the neak and jerk her. Of course she screams and runs off and then everthing is quiet until the next time. He is a beautiful bird struting around "Saying cock-a-doodle-do" which in chicken means "It is good to be the King!"

8. RMBGKY

Nov 29, 2010
    Bowling Green, KY
    1) Can I isolate the Roosters? I have the setup for it.
    2) Are there additional issues with selling fertilized eggs as opposed to unfertilized eggs? Like I say I don't plan on raising chicks.

9. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:?1 Yes you can isolate the roo's and if you want fertile eggs you can give him a couple ladies to get eggs to hatch
    ?2 There is no difference between fertile or unfertile eggs, you do not need a rooster to have eggs, just if you plan to raise some. The only difference I have ever seen is the white blob in the egg will be more like a target instead of a blob in fertile eggs. They taste exactly the same

10. RMBGKY

Nov 29, 2010
    Bowling Green, KY
    I was just curious if you have more issues with blood spots in fertile eggs. I wouldn't expect to have meat spots in infertile eegs. Also some Vegetarians don't want fertilized eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by