Is this an Ameraucana, EE, or Olive Egger? Male or Female?

Male or Female? Ameraucana, Easter Egger or Olive Egger?

• Total voters
Forgot to address gender - at 10 weeks, I'm not spotting any features that are blatantly cockerel so far. :) No red wing bars, or even obvious comb development. This is a representation of how most of my EE cockerels looked at around 10-11 weeks (note the other in the back, as well):
View attachment 1641314
Ah, okay. :D I was referring to Cookie and Cleopatra, in case you were told they were Ameraucanas. :)

It's a lovely bird, to be sure. :love Most often, Olive Eggers are comprised of Welsummer X Cream Legbar, or Marans X Ameraucana, and Violet doesn't favor either. :) Green legs (which your lovely little one is marked by) are also a common Easter Egger trait.

~Alex

Thank you just wanted to make sure but yes all 3 Cookie, Cleo (r.i.p) & Violet were all sold as Ameraucana. Thank you for the information! So in your opinion do you think cookie & violet have different parents or could they be bred from the same two birds?

Hey-there is an article up above where a member is using old farmer's tales to sex straight run chix! Maybe you could try a few and let us know!:wee

I’m sorry I can’t tell if that was a joke or sarcasm or not lol but if not where is the article and I’m sorry if this is a dumb question but what does “straight run” mean?

Oh-so sorry. I am serious.

When I signed in today, an article popped up about someone checking out different ways to sex baby chicks. Right now they are hatching their own eggs, testing 10 or 15 methods of sexing on each chick, and recording male/female predictions based on each test. Later, after the sex is known, that is recorded and compared to the predictions/methods. They just started, so only have 30ish results from a handful of breeds. I don't see the article, but I'll go look for it.

PS Straight-run simply means the seller put all the chicks, male and female, into the sale bin instead of taking the time to sex them. Bantams are almost always straight run because their vents are too little to tell which is which. In my experience, straight run seems to run about 75-85% male, tho!

Thank you just wanted to make sure but yes all 3 Cookie, Cleo (r.i.p) & Violet were all sold as Ameraucana. Thank you for the information! So in your opinion do you think cookie & violet have different parents or could they be bred from the same two birds?
You're more than welcome! :)

Well, it's hard to say....certainly not well-acquainted with genetics by any means. :lol: Taking the nature of Easter Eggers into consideration, I'd be tempted to think the possibility of same parents is conceivable. EEs are known for their unending, and unpredictable, array of plumage colors. :love

~Alex

The black one is a cockerel. That tall, bright comb at 10 weeks........
I was sure (the black one) was a pullet? But any idea of what breed he/she might be.

Ya--think you're right. It also seems to be a breeding I'm unfamiliar with. The lacing looks like wyandotte, but ....one thing I've been learning about chicken breeds and varieties: I know nothing, jon snow. OK shutting up now:duc

The white in front is a Leghorn but the black one is another one I’m having trouble identifying (breed) if anyone has any ideas .
The white one looks like a Rock more than Leghorn. The black maybe an Australorp.

he was selling EEs which is why I was thinking that maybe they got mixed up?
I was thinking it was shady for a farm store owner and breeder to be selling those as Ameraucana... But I see they were honest and it was just wishful thinking. :)

No, I don't believe true Ameraucana are that hard to come by. You just have to educate yourself about the breed and be willing to spend little more or possibly wait a short time, not spur of the moment. There are several hatcheries that have them.

She does have the ear tuffs but hard to see.
Every bird has some slight tuft on their ear. But not like the Araucana. Ameraucana have muffs and beards but not the long tufts. Lots of confusing terms that are easy to mix up... Good little description of differences here...
https://the-chicken-chick.com/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana/

Still reading from page 1, sorry if I am repeating someone else! :oops:

Back
Top Bottom