Is this an infection or just is she being attacked??

mypantera

Hatching
12 Years
Jan 17, 2008
Saw this today for the first time and I am not sure if it is an infection or is she being attacked by one or more of the other hens or both?

This is on her left side closer to her tail feathers. When I tried to pet her, she let me until she realized what I wanted to see then she ran. She is drinking and acting normal other then being one of the chickens I have to open the door after it closes to let in.

There are 12 chickens in this coupe with 3 being older (4 + years old) and these girls are all less then a year old. They have been living together in the coupe for many months and do not have free range of the yard but do have a good sized covered run. I have had chickens for a while but this is new to me.... Not sure what to do....

I'd clean it up and then see what it looks like, and probably put some Neosporin on it. If you can, you might try just watching their behavior a while, see if you can figure out if she's low or high in the pecking order. They may be attacking the wound, regardless of how it started, so you may have to separate her for a while for it to have a chance to heal.

Thanks, she seems to be doing a little better today. Will keep a close eye on her.... poor girl

put damascus earth on it. i had a chicken a few weeks ago get an eye infection from an animal bite. it really helped and she is good now. u can get DE at natures pantry or other nature stores or natural sections at hyvee and places
good luck!

Thanks, I will have to get some of this Damascus earth for her.

Back
Top Bottom