Is this asking too much??

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
I have friedn who is finishing up cancer treatment so I have been turning my summer upside down to help her.

This morning she calls and says she has found the car she wants to buy. she has been looking for a few months. But, the deal will fall through if she doesn't get there today, so will I drive her?

She lives an hour north of me.

The car is two hours south of me.

An hour to her place three hours to get to the car, whatever time to complete the deal and then two hours back home for me. Um, no.

We had a long day yesterday, the kids are tired and I don't have child care so I would have to take them. Um, no.
6 hours in a car with no major theme park at the end of it? I don't think so. This is an all day issue, something you plan out not a sudden thing.

Is she asking too much or I am not being flexible enough? Technically, I don't have anything preventing me from doing it, but I just can't do that to my kids.

Last edited:
That's pushing the friend envelope way too far. There has to be a car in her area that she would be happy with. And why the hurry? Sounds like a shady dealer trying to force the deal.

then again..shes gets a car, you arent going to be carting her around anymore!
thumbsup.gif

I'd say that shes pushing it too far...
Just tell her that you need more notice for something like that...

As the mother of six, I would have to beg off myself. By the time we were through I would be exhausted and still be facing the rest of my day with six also exhausted children. Isn't there someone else she could turn to for taking advantage of this opportunity?

I have just two little ones and can't imagine hauling them around for that. That makes for cranky children and a cranky Momma. I'd tell her that you can't. Sometimes we can't do everything and that's okay. It's sounds like you've already been very helpful. Maybe she has someone else who could help her out.

It might or might not be too much to ask. Don't know how good a friend or how much she has already asked. Perhaps if she takes you and the kids out to eat or movie after - or she takes JUST the kids to the movies with her...

I also have to agree the deal sounds fishy - why can't she come and get the car another day!?

I think that's asking too much, if you didn't have kids then it could be a fun road trip with a friend and not such a big deal. I don't know how old your kids are but mine are young and there's no way I would attempt to do that with my kids!! One hour in the car and they are all getting crabby and sick of it, I can't imagine 6 hours. Yikes!! Don't feel bad, you need to put your kids, and your sanity first.
wink.png
And while I think it's awful and sad that your friend has cancer, that's not a reason to feel guilted into doing something that is just not feasible.

Is she getting it from a dealer or individual? If the person wants to sell the car that bad they could drive it to your friend then she can give them a ride home, and she could give them extra money for their time and trouble. Problem solved!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom