Is this barred rock a rooster or hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ksewell1183, Jan 26, 2015.

1. ksewell1183

ksewell1183 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2014
    It is about 13 weeks old

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Im torn, lack of comb suggests pullet, but the light coloring, lack of dark wash on the legs suggest male.

But I want to say pullet or slow developing male.

Sorry for not being that helpful

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Yes...it does look a bit in between...but at 13 weeks, I'm going to say pullet as BR roo's have got quite a bit of red comb by then, and I've had plenty of not perfectly marked hatchery birds and early developing pullets.

Give it a few more weeks...one barred in the flock can be hard to guess if it doesn't telecast well.

LofMc

EDITED TO ADD: hmmmm, on relooking with zoom...I might be seeing some shiny hackle spikes...take a flashlight out tonight and see if the hackles light up with spark as well as the saddle area. A BR pullet's feathers have a soft glow, while the developing roo will have high shine in streamers.

This one could go either way at this point...you'll know better in a couple of weeks.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm leaning towards pullet.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm leaning towards cockerel, based on the color mostly.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Wow, we're not much help, are we [​IMG]

I'm in the same boat, just not positive. My first impression was pullet, and I'm probably leaning that direction. Small, fleshy colored comb and the bird just looks feminine to me.

But, the overall color is so light, and the legs are so yellow with no dark coloring a pullet typically has...those are cockerel signs that keep me from being positive on the pullet.

Post again in 3-4 weeks so we can see how it looks then? I'm intrigued to see which way it goes.

7. ksewell1183

ksewell1183 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2014
    Thanks for all the input! I will post another pic in a few weeks. This is our second barred rock and our first one had us stumped also. She was very vocal, bigger than all the other chicks and had a huge comb. She turned out to be the first one to lay eggs and was the sweetest chicken ever! Unfortunately we lost all but one of our first flock to a neighbors dog and had to start again.

8. gsfarm

gsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    Girl for sure, I have been raising barreds for years.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    The light color says "male," the other aspects say "female." This BR is a great illustration that there are always exceptions to every rule. Post again in a few weeks. By then it's gender should be obvious.

10. Tara K

Tara K Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Salem MA
    I
    Thanks for all the input! I will post another pic in a few weeks. This is our second barred rock and our first one had us stumped also. She was very vocal, bigger than all the other chicks and had a huge comb. She turned out to be the first one to lay eggs and was the sweetest chicken ever! Unfortunately we lost all but one of our first flock to a neighbors dog and had to start again.[/quote

I say 100% pullet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by