Is this bumble foot extremely bad?

Serphs

Chirping
Sep 1, 2017
We recently found a chicken with three bumps on its feet and found out it was bumble foot. We had to leave for 2 weeks and left the chicken in the care of our grandmother. When we got back the bumble foot had gotten even worse. Is there anything we can do or is it better to just put her down?
Images attached.

Attachments

• D0A47913-4443-495A-A4C9-8F55CE664A19.jpeg
    D0A47913-4443-495A-A4C9-8F55CE664A19.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 6DBECCE1-00FE-45E7-9FD3-08FB91D12366.jpeg
    6DBECCE1-00FE-45E7-9FD3-08FB91D12366.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 58
At the top of the foot there is some kind of bad looking scab. Sorry for low quality picture
Hi there! We have wonderful educators who can help you decide how to proceed with this. I'll tag some for you! @azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @Texas Kiki I wouldn't be thinking of euthanasia right now, these things are usually treatable. Good luck!

Looks like bumblefoot, glorified word for a staphylococcal infection of the foot in poultry. The funky scab is probably where she was injured, and will be a good place to focus your attention should you elect to treat her yourself, at home, otherwise a veterinarian could perform the minor surgery if you have one that's willing and able to help with your chicken. Chicken pus is different than human pus. Theirs is more solid, cheesy, waxy, instead of liquidy, so you can't just push a pin in it to drain the infection (like you can sometimes do with humans). There are MANY great videos on youtube and some are linked here at BYC in previous posts about bumblefoot. Watching a video of the surgery may help you decide if you want to perform this at home or seek professional help.
Bumblefoot is totally treatable if caught in time (and it looks like you've definitely caught this in time), but can be fatal if left untreated.

Soak an "Exacto" blade in alcohol for 20 minutes, then make a small incision along the top of the bumble. It'll have to be a long enough cut to allow you to press the puss out, then irrigate it with saline solution or peroxide.
There are several videos online that show just how easy it is.
Good luck.

Bumblefoot can be handled different ways. You can try soaking the feet in warm Epsom salts for 30 minutes a day if younhave the time and patients. Surgery may be needed for an advanced case, and one can buy disposable scalpels at TSC for farm animals, which are much easier to use than a regular knife. Exacto knives or a biopsy punch is also used by some. I would read a few articles, and look at some videos to learn the best techniques. I have done the surgery by myself, but I would try to find another person to help hold while getting all of the supplies ready ahead of time. Here is a good article all about bumblefoot and a video of surgery by the same author:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

Back
Top Bottom