Is this bumble foot?

smileygreen64

Chirping
Oct 4, 2016
Southeast Alabama
My hen has had a swollen toe for a little while now. I think about 2 weeks. There has been no noticeable change either good or bad. I know the pictures aren't great, but my phone's camera isn't that great and it's stormy today. There is no obvious sign of a scab or any broken skin. It's hard to see in the picture but there does seem to be some bruising. I can't tell that the toe is any warmer than the others, which would imply an infection. It doesn't seem to bother her when I touch it, and there is no limping. I have been reading up on treating bumble foot, but I certainly don't want to cut her toe open if that isn't what it is. Any ideas or suggestions are very much a appreciated. Thanks.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Yes, it is squishy. I will try and get some better pictures. I don't feel a core, which from what I have read is typical with bumble foot. I was thinking it might be a broken or sprained toe. I haven't seen any other foot problems common in chickens that fit her symptoms.

Sounds like a infection.Get a knife and some bandage.You will need to cut the infected area.If blood come out stop and wrap in bandage.If pus comes out squeeze the rest out until its gone.This will not hurt the bird if its pus so don't worry.No matter what keep the bird in a cage until full recovery.If she had bumblefoot she would be limping.Hopefully you will go through this as its not that fun having swollen feet.Good luck.

I will let you know. I have to pick up some stuff before I do it. I am going to do it today after I get off work. I need gauze, neosporin, and some vet wrap. Unless you would suggest something else, that is what I am going to use to bandage with.

Back
Top Bottom