Is this bumblefoot?

It_is_I_Rae

Songster
Oct 30, 2019
20211210_145043.jpg
(Don't mind the feather stuck to her foot) I noticed this small lump on my chicken's foot today. I know bumblefoot is usually on the bottom of the foot but this was between her small toe and spur. It's a bit warm to the touch as well. She is not limping or anything and doesn't appear to be in pain but I don't want to just ignore in the case that it is an infection. So does this look like the beginnings of bumblefoot or is it something else? What can I do for her, and should I schedule a vet appointment or is this something I can fix at home? (I have a vet I can take her to and I'm not opposed to spending the money, I'm just wondering whether it's necessary or not. I know some people try to do surgery at home but if surgery is needed she's definitely going to the vet.)

I'm not terrific with photos, preferring viewing objects in three dimension. But that appears to be some kind of callous or hyperkerotosis. My two roosters have that on their feet, and one or two hens do, as well. It doesn't seem to bother any of them, or at least I've never seen them limp or hold a foot up.

I tried once to remove the excess tissue and it just grew right back.

This may not be what your hen has. As I said, I can't really say for sure if that's what I'm seeing in your photo. But it's not bumblefoot.

I'm not terrific with photos, preferring viewing objects in three dimension. But that appears to be some kind of callous or hyperkerotosis. My two roosters have that on their feet, and one or two hens do, as well. It doesn't seem to bother any of them, or at least I've never seen them limp or hold a foot up.

I tried once to remove the excess tissue and it just grew right back.

This may not be what your hen has. As I said, I can't really say for sure if that's what I'm seeing in your photo. But it's not bumblefoot.
Good to know, thank you

Back
Top Bottom