Is this Bumblefoot?

Okay. Great information. Thank you. I don't have any of the products mentioned above. I did put triple antibiotic ointment on it and wrapped it, then put her in the coop so she didn't get it all gross. I'll check in the am and will order the above mentioned products. Either I'll use them on her or have them on hand "next time".
@Lillith37 37 @azygous

Okay. Great information. Thank you. I don't have any of the products mentioned above. I did put triple antibiotic ointment on it and wrapped it, then put her in the coop so she didn't get it all gross. I'll check in the am and will order the above mentioned products. Either I'll use them on her or have them on hand "next time".
@Lillith37 37 @azygous

Yes a drawing salve, gauze and wraps are all useful items to keep on hand. I personally have the magnoplasm and medical honey. Good for human wounds too if you get a splinter.

I think be reassured by the fact that there is no redness/discolouration or swelling of her toes. That would indicate an active infection that is spreading. If she is limping it may just be the discomfort from whatever nugget may be inside her footpad.

Definitely don’t make any incisions because you risk reintroducing infection. In my experience bumblefoot is best treated with as least invasive measures if possible and if surgical debridement is necessary, take the chook to the vet unless you have the proper skills and equipment.

I don't bother to wrap since it's healing and obviously not infected and the scab is sealing off the tissue beneath from bacteria. But it's your call if you would feel better with it wrapped.

As I mentioned, if this was infected, the black scab and swelling would indicate bacteria under the scab. This flat tan scab indicates there is no bacteria under it. The Vetericyn is to promote healing.

Back
Top Bottom