Is this Bumblefoot?

rehsanipoor

Songster
6 Years
Jan 29, 2018
Baltimore, MD
We noticed our Easter Egger, Flo limping a little. We looked at her feet but didn't see any black spots or obvious infection. She has continued to limp for over a week and today when we looked we did see that the right side appears swollen, but still no cut, or black spot. When we looked at the picture enlarged I can see an area where it may be developing a spot. I'm hoping we have caught this early. What would you recommend at this point? I included pics of both feet for comparison. The first picture is the left (good side) second is the right (bad side).
DADB06F9-E562-4987-9B5A-733D41095556.JPG
00E85490-BA6B-4193-B641-C4C200C03F4E.JPG

I've been reading, and think it is likely bumblefoot. But if there is no scab, do I still treat it by soaking, making a cut, and draining?

I've been reading, and think it is likely bumblefoot. But if there is no scab, do I still treat it by soaking, making a cut, and draining?
I mean, it wouldn’t hurt to go ahead and soak it with plain epsom salt and spray with a poultry disinfectant (can be bought at TSC), possibly wrap it as well. I would assume if it was bad enough and needed to be drained there would likely be a fissure, blood, or a hole of some sort. but I’ve only ever had one chicken have this problem, so I’m definitely not an expert on this subject.

We just soaked it in epsom salt (I figured no harm in it). Afterward I took this picture. There does appear to be a little brown spot. Is that the beginning of bumble foot? It definitely does not look like her other foot. I included a video of her limp :( @azygous @NatJ
083C62CB-D7E7-4B3A-B86D-BDACB3B36D8C.JPG
161383E4-03D8-4B56-9DAC-AE07F21281B4.poster.JPG

Bumblefoot by definition is a staph infection. The difference in scab color will tell you if it's infected or if it's a superficial wound that is healing. Your chicken has the latter type. Bumblefoot is characterized by a thick black scab, usually with a little swollen tissue surrounding it.

When I see a chicken with a thin tan scab as this chicken has, I just spray Vetericyn on it for a couple of days.

If you’re worried about there being an infection inside the swollen bit with only the tiny wound on the surface, you could try putting a drawing salve like magnoplasm, prid, epsom poultice or medical honey over the wound, cover with gauze and wrap. Probably in the evening so it has a chance to work while she’s roosting. It will draw the infection to the surface. You may see a change or the wound may just heal — either way the salve shouldn’t hurt. Sometimes bumbles can heal over and the infection is capsuled inside and then migrates around and pops up later. I had this happen in one of my hens’ toes. It healed over completely but she had this pea sized lump. It didn’t seem to bother her but it did reopen at one point and I used a salicylic wart patch to soften the whole thing. It lifted out and then the abscess healed in like two days.

Back
Top Bottom