Is This Bumblefoot?

Miss Chicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
This is our first summer with chickens so we have a lot to learn. One of our hens is limping and favoring her right foot. I don't know what this is and why she is limping. Please help.

That's interesting. It almost looks like a tumor. Are there a lot of sharp little rocks around your coop and run? I have a terrible time with rocks being excavated all around my chicken area, and lots of bumblefoot, but have never seen that.

It does doesn't it. Seminolewind just posted about using a candeler to look into a bumble foot. I wonder if you could see anything using a bright flashlight in this foot.

If you pick around the edges does it look like it is something foreign in there...like it might could come out or does it just look like the foot oozed out?

The top of her foot looks fine. We cleaned it up and nothing oozed out at all. We don't have any sharp rocks, they are in a coop with straw bedding. I will have to try looking through with a flashlight to see if anything is in there. I hope it isn't anything serious...she is such a sweetie.

Is it recent? Sore? Swollen? It does not look like the usual bumblefoot. Kind of looks like canker. I wonder how long it's been forming.

If it's a tumor, you may not be able to remove it because it may be vascular. Hope to hear your replies

Back
Top Bottom