Is this chicken area big enough?

Hi!
Your coop may be a bit tight, but unless it gets too terribly hot in your area it should not be a problem.
Your run is generous in size. Don’t worry about the ground unless it has dangerous sharp objects or things chicken should not ingest.
I live in the desert there is no grass here so I supplement the girls’ diet with some scratch, raw veggies, mealworms, etc. A hanging wire basket with greens packed in it, chicken treat balls, and whole 🌽 tied up just above head height all give them something to do besides scratch and peck. I only give these things in mid to late afternoon so
I’m sure they are getting high protein, non-GMO, layer crumbles. Oh, I also supplement with cactus fruit and any type of vegetation they will eat, but no jipsomweed or tomato plants.
If you put metal flashing over the nest boxes, most of the poo will slide off and it will be easy to clean. Bantams do perch, but if you get silkies, they’ll need a droppings free area on the coop floor. Some will perch but only if the roosting bar s low enough.
Best to you!
Regards…

Hi!
Your coop may be a bit tight, but unless it gets too terribly hot in your area it should not be a problem.
Your run is generous in size. Don’t worry about the ground unless it has dangerous sharp objects or things chicken should not ingest.
I live in the desert there is no grass here so I supplement the girls’ diet with some scratch, raw veggies, mealworms, etc. A hanging wire basket with greens packed in it, chicken treat balls, and whole 🌽 tied up just above head height all give them something to do besides scratch and peck. I only give these things in mid to late afternoon so
I’m sure they are getting high protein, non-GMO, layer crumbles. Oh, I also supplement with cactus fruit and any type of vegetation they will eat, but no jipsomweed or tomato plants.
If you put metal flashing over the nest boxes, most of the poo will slide off and it will be easy to clean. Bantams do perch, but if you get silkies, they’ll need a droppings free area on the coop floor. Some will perch but only if the roosting bar s low enough.
Best to you!
Regards…
Thankyou for your response, throughout the day I always pop over to the run and give them some fresh fruit and vegetables, and I put oyster shells in their food every so often. Also when I turn over the mud their run is on they seem to love it as they can dig for more worms (so I do this every other day)

In terms of the coop I’m not sure if you saw the picture but the best boxes are a sort of added bit on the side, and they are slightly raised from the floor. The perches are in the middle right at the top near the roof, each night they all fly up there and there droppings just fall into the main floor of the coop (which I regularly replace the straw as it can fill up sometimes)

No it's not big enough for seven and defintely not big enough for any further additions.
As you can see from your photgraphs they've already stripped most of the area so there is much left for interest or forage.
Coop size assuming the chickens get out of the coop for most of the day at least is not an issue.
An appropriate run area is of a size that the chickens cannot strip. Yup I know that makes complete nonsense of the ten square foot per bird rule. What can I tell you. The rule is wrong.
Yup I know lots and lots of people keep a similar number of chickens in a similar sized
No it's not big enough for seven and defintely not big enough for any further additions.
As you can see from your photgraphs they've already stripped most of the area so there is much left for interest or forage.
Coop size assuming the chickens get out of the coop for most of the day at least is not an issue.
An appropriate run area is of a size that the chickens cannot strip. Yup I know that makes complete nonsense of the ten square foot per bird rule. What can I tell you. The rule is wrong.
Yup I know lots and lots of people keep a similar number of chickens in a similar sized run.
Every day is a learning experience. Looks like I need to sell off my cattle and horses. So my 100 chickens can have the run of my entire farm. I wasn’t aware that ten acres is not enough space for them. Just look at how they have destroyed the landscape.

Attachments

• 8B621911-2135-4A64-8937-C49BDD422F9C.jpeg
    8B621911-2135-4A64-8937-C49BDD422F9C.jpeg
    456.3 KB · Views: 4
Wow, what breeds do you have?😀
My main flock are Golden Barnevelders. I keep a couple silkies. I have given up on trying to raise them. I will let the hens that I have left. Live out their days sitting eggs and raising chicks til their hearts content. My daughter talked me into letting her have a Brahma. I also raise different varieties of Old English and American Game bantams. Plus a few varieties of American Game fowl.

Back
Top Bottom