Is this coccidiosis? Semi emergency...

Dogsothoth

Chirping
Apr 15, 2022
North East Ohio
Please tell me this isn’t coccidiosis. 3 silkies I got 3 weeks ago. They are the only birds affected out of 12 total. They’re about 12 weeks I believe? I can’t truly remember.

They act fine, by the way. What do I do? How do I make sure no other chicken gets it? Sometimes my chickens fly into my goat pen, too, and I have a baby goat just born... advice?! Please help me reduce risk of spread if there is a risk.

96F3D73C-D343-4FB9-80A8-03DDF2ACEA73.jpeg

Last edited:
Please tell me this isn’t coccidiosis. 3 silkies I got 3 weeks ago. They are the only birds affected out of 12 total. They’re about 12 weeks I believe? I can’t truly remember.

They act fine, by the way. What do I do? How do I make sure no other chicken gets it? Sometimes my chickens fly into my goat pen, too, and I have a baby goat just born... advice?! Please help me reduce risk of spread if there is a risk.

View attachment 3074926
Looks like wet cecal poop.

If you've only had them 3 weeks and they are on new wet mucky ground, I think I would still be inclined to treat for Coccidiosis.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid dose is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
You can provide this water to your whole flock.

Coccidia are found in soil and in poop, it's basically everywhere. If your existing flock has been on that ground for a while, then likely they have built resistance to the strain(s) found in their environment, but certain conditions, illnesses, etc. can weaken a bird and allow an overgrowth. New birds on new ground, especially wet mucky ground (Coccidia thrive in wet, damp, moist areas), then I would treat as a preventative.

Coccidia is species specific, so the strains that affect chickens will not affect other animals like goats.

Looks like wet cecal poop.

If you've only had them 3 weeks and they are on new wet mucky ground, I think I would still be inclined to treat for Coccidiosis.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid dose is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
You can provide this water to your whole flock.

Coccidia are found in soil and in poop, it's basically everywhere. If your existing flock has been on that ground for a while, then likely they have built resistance to the strain(s) found in their environment, but certain conditions, illnesses, etc. can weaken a bird and allow an overgrowth. New birds on new ground, especially wet mucky ground (Coccidia thrive in wet, damp, moist areas), then I would treat as a preventative.

Coccidia is species specific, so the strains that affect chickens will not affect other animals like goats.
Super informative though thank you!!!

That mud will be cleared tomorrow thankfully. I accidentally dug my floor too deep about a week back... got my dirt delivered today to make everything go back to normal.

Ugggh! Sounds like a mess and a big job too! Glad you are getting it fixed.
Mud is no fun and I think we all have to deal with it here and there.

Personally, I would still treat.
New dirt, possibly new strains of Coccidia coming with it.

Back
Top Bottom