Is this coccidiosis?

rowfarm3

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2016

My 4wk old chick is weak and lethargic, and I think she's had a seizure. She can't stand. Was fine then all of a sudden she wasn't. I know I need to treat all of the chicks with antibiotics if it is coccidiosis. Can I get themy at my local feed store? What's the dosage? Thank you!

Sorry, I thought corid was an antibiotic. I'm new to chicken keeping.

I actually don't think it is coccidiosis anymore. She's having normal stools now. I've actually posted another thread about her in this same area, but I don't know how to link them together. It's like she had a seizure,or stroke or something neurological because she can't stand or sit upright. Her entire body leans to the right, and she's just laying there. I feel awful for her. My husband thinks we should cull her, but I want to help her if I can.

You could try some vitamins like Poly-Vi-Sol without Iron. Some vitamin deficiencies can cause neurological symptoms. Or Nutri-Drench for chickens.

UPDATE: my sick little girl passed late last night. I've started seeing some of the other chicks looking puffed up, and spending more time under the heat lamp. They're all still eating and drinking, thankfully. I decided to go ahead and treat them all with corid. Hopefully this will prevent me losing any more.

At their age I think you should use probiotics to improve on their imunity. Human baby milk can work for your chickens cos most of them have probiotics. And make sure you add glucose in their water in case one could not eat. Then call your local vet. To see what's happening. One spoon full is enogh for 4 liters of water each.

Back
Top Bottom