Is this coop big enough?

x2. If they can make the whole thing a coop, that would be appropriate for 8 birds.

The right modification depends on the climate.

In some warm climates, the best fix would be to take out that wall between the two sections, and it would be a very well ventilated coop with one end a bit more sheltered.

In some cold climates, making the whole thing into a coop would require making most of the sides out of solid material (but still including a decent amount of ventilation.)

When I first started with chickens I had a coop very similar to that. About a week later I was over having chickens if I was gonna have to deal with their up keep in something like that. Trust me on this if you want chickens make it easy on yourself. For 500 dollars you can build a 8x8 yard with a door to walk in. If you buy that coop the first thing your gonna get tired of is crawling around on the ground in there trying to change stuff and get eggs thats in the far back corner. Not to mention something came into my yard and drug my pen that size 30 feet across the yard one night. I then built a 10x10 yard with outside coop that stands 3 feet off the ground with linoleum floor to take out and rinse and put back. Pic of my coop that buts up to 10x10 yard with tin roof. Makes life a lot simpler.

Attachments

• 20200508_142212.jpg
    20200508_142212.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20171208_212037.jpg
    20171208_212037.jpg
    594.1 KB · Views: 12
I bought a prefab when I thought I new all I needed to, lmao, bad move but now I know better, so me and the hubby are starting to build our new coop 7x8 for the 3 ladies we currently have and the 3 babies that are coming in April. Go bigger, you may be starting with 8 but you probably won't stay at 8😁🤣

I started with 2 chickens got to 14 then down to 6 now but have 2 dozen lavender orp eggs coming in couple weeks. And 5 bourbon red turkeys coming first of May. Lol I know I'm a addict!!!

Started with 8 and the bare minimum sq footage needed hoping to get down to 6 eventually. Less than a year later we have 11 and I'm now turning my "run" into a year round coop! lol

To OP-
Are you handy with tools? If not, is there a local handyman looking for work who can build what you want? I've also looked at some of the sheds you can get from hardware stores and modify them. Our rural king also sells coops that seem reasonable to me. I'd look around a bit more personally.

I bought a prefab when I thought I new all I needed to, lmao, bad move but now I know better, so me and the hubby are starting to build our new coop 7x8 for the 3 ladies we currently have and the 3 babies that are coming in April. Go bigger, you may be starting with 8 but you probably won't stay at 8😁🤣
I promised my husband we would only have 4 chickens. 4 would be plenty.

...I'm at 15 now 😬

I promised my husband we would only have 4 chickens. 4 would be plenty.

...I'm at 15 now 😬
I said the same thing about 3, lmao, now there will be six total(he doesn't know about the free meal maker from Myers), so really 7🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣He'll get over it, he got another brahma, so I had to supplement, lol

Back
Top Bottom