Is this duck okay?

Personally I wouldn't mix a sick feral duck with my ducks. I feel that would cause my ducks stress and possibly expose them to disease and parasites. My ducks used to be feral and they had internal parasites, external parasites, and infectious bronchitis - so I may be extra paranoid.

When one of my ducks is ill and in recovery I put about 3 layers of towels on the floor of my bathroom. I change the towels about 3 times daily and do a lot of laundry.

Oh wow that's a lot. I only own like 3 towels so I guess we will see what I can do. Both of my other ducks were actually from the same park but they weren't really feral one of them I found as a day old duckling and the other someone dumped as an adult duck. Honestly just with how little she weighed I am very worried to bring her back to the park

Yep leave her in your tub for now . Looks like from the pic you put up her wound isn’t in the middle of her body? Where body an tail meet
29ADD892-8849-4588-AB93-FC3D12D1F7A5.jpeg
my drakes preen gland
D993EEA2-E2F5-4CB2-A440-99BF9824BFDF.jpeg

Here is another picture, where the feathers end is her butt, there would normally be tail feathers but I assume whatever predator injured her probably ripped out those feathers. She disappeared from the park for around a month before I found her so I assume she was living in the bushes barely getting enough food to survive.
That looks like the location of the preen gland. It's hard to see it well.

@Miss Lydia could be into something with the overmating. Before I got my duck she was overmated so much she was missing many tail and wing feathers. She was also rather bloody. Often with overmating they will be missing feathers on the neck where there drakes hold on, are you seeing that?

Keep her if you can,no one will miss her and she’ll be safe there. If I still lived in Fla I’d be out rescuing muscovy they are treated so badly. Hopefully you’ll get her wings clipped where she’ll stay put. @SolarDuck is just adopted a duck that is in need of some help too maybe she can guide you on what she’s doing for Pom
Pom. Im glad to hear she’s eating now. And if you can find some poultry Nutri drench to put in her water that will help her too.

Although my main concern with keeping her now would be the things that @KaleIAm said. I'd be worried about her potentially spreading something to my other ducks.
I want to save all the ducks, too. When I adopted my rescues I accidentally got my existing flock of 2 sick. Since then I have a closed flock, nobody in or out. It is hard.

The external and internal parasites are easy to test for, and most of them are easy to treat for. The viruses are a harder choice. But since your existing flock already came from that park they've likely already been exposed to viruses.

If you do choose to keep her I wouldn't add her to your existing flock until she is well.

This was an amazing read. You are doing a great job! And, I didn't notice if hits was mentioned or not, but is the 4 cup measuring cup big enough for her to dunk her whole head in? Sure you know that they need to dunk there whole heads to clean out there sinuses. Just checking! This is very cool! Great job, that duck is very lucky!

Back
Top Bottom