Is this earlobe color normal for a Black australorp chick?

EsqChick

Songster
Feb 8, 2018
Oakland, CA
37507722-9000-447A-900C-C3F7E066E155.jpeg 03B72D6C-3EC0-4475-971E-F372A391063D.jpeg 1E2695EE-B3EE-4780-AC19-794E86AF414E.jpeg My 4 week old australorp Charlotte had a very scary incident this weekend when she had what can only be described as a wry neck situation accompanied by severe scratching fits. It was so bad she literally scratched her face raw, taking off lots of feathers and making herself bleed on both sides of her head. Others here on BYC suggested it was wry neck, so we started treating for that. She’s better, no more wry neck, not scratching so furiously, but still scratching from time to time. We’ve got little bandaids on her claws to prevent her from scratching to point of injury. Anyhow, her earlobes are pink now instead of the bright red they were this weekend. Is this normal for a BA? Or are her earlobes still irritated from scratching. We’re hoping to put her back in the brooder with her 3 sisters and plan to use blu kote, but I’m wondering if she’s truly getting better. Thanks!

Photos are Saturday night (immediately after her episodes), Sunday morning and tonight.

That isn't normal. Looks like it's scratching around it's ear. Did you check it for mites? Could have something wrong with it's ear. It's too young to be showing earlobe color yet, that's all irritated skin.
Yes, we considered mites, infection, all that. She doesn’t have any as far as I can see. She had just been scratching.
Thanks for your help.

The earlobe color is not normal. Ear-lobe coloration like that is not seen in chicks so young. The discoloration could be partially due to scaring (possibly making it permanent or semi-permanent). It still looks inflamed and irritated. Here is a pic for reference:

Black-Australorp-1.png

The earlobe color is not normal. Ear-lobe coloration like that is not seen in chicks so young. The discoloration could be partially due to scaring (possibly making it permanent or semi-permanent). It still looks inflamed and irritated. Here is a pic for reference:

View attachment 1287829

I figured as much. Considering it’s onky been a few days abs she’s stioo scratching every so often it’s not surprising she’s still irritated. My poor baby!

I’m using vitamin E oil, neosporin and Benadryl cream on it. Anyone else have any other suggestions to help it heal faster?

Back
Top Bottom