Is this EGG BOUND or is this a CROP ISSUE? Symptoms are similar?

totallycity

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 7, 2008
TN
I posted yesterday about egg bound, and have been doing a lot of reading on these threads about it, but I still don't know which one my lady is suffering with. All the symptoms I am reading could be the same.

here is what is happening....
1. She can & will drink fine. (I have started adding ACV to H2O)
2. She walks like a penguin, very slow & uncomfortable.
3. After a few steps she will stop & plop down to rest (staying there for hrs)
4. She has not go to the hen house to lay (that I have observed)
5. Roosting at night on the bottom step of ladder and won't go into house (almost too much effort to fly & jump up there)
6. She eats fine (but will do so mostly sitting) & will come get the food, not just brought to her.
7. She has a swollen neck fills full, lots of massage and it seemed to go down some, but this morning it's hard again.
8. We did the whole "glove check" & hubby thought he felt an egg, but really what do we have to compare it to?
9. She is pooping fine and doesn't seemed labored, not watery or anything
10. From time to time her breathing is labored, open mouth & tounge sticks out.
11. In the beginning she seemed rstless, but now she is past the point of restless, but now just will let you pick her up & waits for the massage.
& just sits all day being still.

All these symptoms seem equal to each condition, so how would I know if she has a crop issue or a egg boung issue?

I plan to soak some bread in olive oil & contuine with the ACV water.
How can I know for sure if I put her in a warm dark place if she is egg bound, because won't the lack of light cause her not to lay?

HELP me I am confused and she is in so much pain.

The walking like a penguin sounds like she is egg bound. Since she is eating and drinking and the crop does seem to go down I wouldn't worry too much about that right now. I'd focus on the egg bound issue.

Try soaking her for about 10 minutes in some warm water, you can add Epsom salt. While her bum is under water, gently massage the vent area. After she has soaked, dry her off and put her somewhere where she can be alone, preferably dark. Repeat every several hours. Make sure she has food and water and is eating and drinking while she is isolated. Hopefully she will pass the egg.

I think I replied to you yesterday. I still have mine that is walking like a penguin too. She just kind of stand like that. Same thing. She eats, drinks, poops. Yesterday a tiny egg the size of a quarter came out. She didn't feel any better. I have done the finger check and feel nothing. Mine doesn't seem to have the swollen neck. Good luck. I will follow your post(s) to see how it goes. Someone suggested crushing up some Tums for a calcium boost. I did that and added it to a milk and bread mix. She ate it up. I am waiting for a call from an Avian vet. If I get any interesing ideas, I will share them with you. My post is under "egg bound?" I posted a photo of her penguin stance.

Thanks, I will take whatever advice you might have to share.
Yes, I saw the pic of your lady & she looks so uncomfortable. Poor thing.

Our "Princess" is now in the garage on bed rest. She has been there most of the day & loving the attention, but the cat's not too crazy about sharing his room, LOL!!

We tried the hot bath and re-check for egg, but nothing was there and there was an egg for sure last night. We are thinking that she passed it before we brought her in.

She is eating egg yokes and shell (protein & calcium) & olive oil soaked bread. Drinks small amount of ACV water.

She is still very tired & isn't wanting to move around a lot. Hubby massaged her all over and she soaked it up, but her breath is still very heavy & labored.

New thought....hubby had a thought that since he couldn't find the egg & since her crop seems fine today he is thinking that maybe she was grazed by a car or something instead. They are free range and cross the street way more than we would like them to.
There are no marks, missing feathers or blood, scrapes etc.. to indicate this as a possibility, but who knows.

Another friend said maybe toxic from drinking something she shouldn't have. I am getting some raw milk on Monday and try her on that, it's suspose to help.

We will leave her in the garage for another day and then move her to the isolated tractor to watch & see if she lays.

Other than that I dont know what else to do, but pray for her.

Lisa

Keeping her isolated is one way of knowing whether or not she is laying eggs. If she doesn't lay another egg after a couple of days, she is either egg bound or laying internally. You're also right, could be any number of things. Keep her isolated and as long as she is eating and drinking, don't worry about the crop. Just wait to see if/when she lays another egg.

Wait a minute. Laying internally is different than egg bound?

I thought it was the same thing. What's the deal with laying internally??

Quote:
Egg bound means literally "egg bound" - in other words, she's bound up - there's an egg that is blocking the shoot and can't get out - maybe too big. All measures posted, i.e., soaking, massaging, feeling in the vent - are ways of helping get the egg out.

Laying internally, unfortunately, is fatal and there is no treatment short of a hysterectomy. It means the yolks are staying internal and not forming a shell and being laid. They will build up and become toxic to her, eventually killing her.

If she was laying egg just recently, she is probably egg bound and not laying internally. But, keep her isolated so you can watch her. Hopefully she will pass an egg soon.

I think my Barred Rock is egg bound as well
sad.png
she has the same symptoms and is really appearing uncomfortable

she was laying great big eggs and doing find until yesterday when she started doing the same thing your hen was doing

I hope she can pass this egg I am worried about loosing her now

I am so bummed she just looks so uncomfortable

Back
Top Bottom