Is this fowl pox?

Vasicos1

Chirping
Jan 23, 2022
180123CF-459F-4696-B93C-AF225B68AF2B.png One of my little ladies has sores popping up on her comb and face. She’s acting normal but it looks like they’re getting worse. She’s separated from the others and I’ve added vitamins to her water. What else can I do for her?

Yes, it certainly looks like fowl pox. It'll go away on its own in about 4-6 weeks.
You can put iodine on the infective scabs to shrink them and lessen the chances of the disease spreading to your other birds.
Once the disease passes, your bird(s) will be immune to that particular strain. Eggs are safe to eat.

Yes, it certainly looks like fowl pox. It'll go away on its own in about 4-6 weeks.
You can put iodine on the infective scabs to shrink them and lessen the chances of the disease spreading to your other birds.
Once the disease passes, your bird(s) will be immune to that particular strain. Eggs are safe to eat.
Awesome. Good to know she should be fine soon. Thank you!

I agree that looks to be fowl pox virus. Since it is spread by mosquitoes, it may not be necessary to separate, but that is up to you. Most birds are more comfortable with their flocks, and will eat better. It also prevents having to reintegrate them. Do not disturb the scabs since that can spread the virus. The fallen scabs can be contagious months later. Here is an article about pox:
http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/fowl-pox-backyard-flocks

Adults chickens cope better than chicks with fowl pox. So I'd keep her away from any area that you have or will have chicks in. I shut off areas to chicks for a year after an outbreak.

Back
Top Bottom