Is this fowl pox?

Wet pox gets in their mouths and throats. I am by far no expert but I think you may have something happening here in addition to pox. THat does not sound at all right for it to be pox killing them like that.
Mine mostly don't act like anything is wrong at all. This year they got it on their beaks and legs but still they were not overly bothered. Only the silkie with it in the eyes had issues but she made it.

I went back and read your original post and those are not symptoms that fit with pox...standing around, bloody poop, lethargic....that sounds more like cocci. Maybe someone with experience with that will chime in.

Last edited:
Generally, wet pox can be seen as lesions or sores in the mouth, esophagus. Here's a link to read regarding both dry and wet pox and what to look for.
http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/content/view/20/43/
You mentioned blood in feces. I believe you are dealing with cocci and that's what's killing your birds. I recommend purchasing Corid 9.6% liquid solution at your feed store, it'll be in the cattle section. Dosage is 9.5cc's per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Make sure it's their sole source of water to drink, make it fresh daily. Give it to all your birds whether they are sick or not. Sick birds wont drink, you'll have to use an eyedropperful of the mixture to give it orally to the sick birds until they can drink the treated water on their own. Use the eyedropperful on the sick birds at least 5-6 times a day.

Generally, wet pox can be seen as lesions or sores in the mouth, esophagus. Here's a link to read regarding both dry and wet pox and what to look for.
http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/content/view/20/43/
You mentioned blood in feces. I believe you are dealing with cocci and that's what's killing your birds. I recommend purchasing Corid 9.6% liquid solution at your feed store, it'll be in the cattle section. Dosage is 9.5cc's per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Make sure it's their sole source of water to drink, make it fresh daily. Give it to all your birds whether they are sick or not. Sick birds wont drink, you'll have to use an eyedropperful of the mixture to give it orally to the sick birds until they can drink the treated water on their own. Use the eyedropperful on the sick birds at least 5-6 times a day.
THanks Dawg! I was hoping you were around. My knowledge of cocci is only from reading...thank goodness.

Up until this past Sunday - the day before the first one died- we have been eating the eggs. I read not to eat the eggs for 2 weeks after the meds but can we be sick from having eaten the eggs earlier this week? We will begin treatment first thing tomorrow morning for this.

Thank you all so much!!! We pray this will help our chickens - our little boys are just devastated and we don't want to lose any more.

Back
Top Bottom