Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No, different, regular sized breed

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

kinkachy000

Songster
Mar 18, 2018
Hello,
I got my bantam chicks about two weeks ago now, and I've noticed three of them are monsters compared to the others! The three "monsters" I got from the Tractor Supply mixed bantam breed tub, all the other bantams I got from a local feedstore/breeders. So, I'm not entirely sure what breed these three big guys are, since they were in a mixed tub. All I was told was, "yep, they're bantams for sure." But as they grow im not too sure! They are giants! They tower above all the others, and are pretty hefty feeling. Their legs look like trunks! I'll love them even if they aren't bantams, but I'm just curious what other people think! Are they bantams? Regular breed sized that got mislabeled? Are they mutants?!

Here's a picture of one of the monster chicks standing next to a silver seabright chick. They are the same age (~2 weeks). It's probably pretty obvious, but the one in question is on the left.
IMG_20180328_123225963.jpg

Thoughts?

A lot of the employees know absolutely nothing about chicks/chickens.
Buyer beware...
I would go on a hatchery website that has photos of different breeds of chicks and try to identify them.
The Tractor Supply in my town is great because they have the brooders closed off from the general public, so they don’t have people’s kids carrying chicks around and then putting them back in the wrong brooder.
Of coarse, that doesn’t mean the employees don’t do that :barnie

That doesn't look like a bantam to me. Feed store guys can be wrong. I got a sex link out of a barred rock tub before, they can make mistakes
Yeah, one of the three monster "bantams" I got is definitely a Barred Rock! I was told by another member, that the one picutured looks like a New Hampshire chick, and I'm definitely going to have to agree with them. I'm wondering if the hachery made a mix up, and accidentally sent out the regular sized breeds instead of the bantam version? Not too sure.

Not a bantam. And pretty big for even a standard sized breed. Might be a red broiler.
I was told by another person that it looks like a New Hampshire chick, but now that I searched up Red Broiler...I'm not sure! The chicks look so much alike in their markings! It would definitely make sense for it to be a meat bird, she's giant and hefty! Thanks for your input!

A lot of the employees know absolutely nothing about chicks/chickens.
Buyer beware...
I would go on a hatchery website that has photos of different breeds of chicks and try to identify them.
The Tractor Supply in my town is great because they have the brooders closed off from the general public, so they don’t have people’s kids carrying chicks around and then putting them back in the wrong brooder.
Of coarse, that doesn’t mean the employees don’t do that :barnie
Our tractor supply has the barriers too, but you're right, it doesn't stop the uninformed workers! I have been told by other members, that the pictured chick might be a Red Broiler or a New Hampshire chick. They look so much a like in their markings, that I can't tell what it is exactly. A meat bird would definitely make sense for it's size and weight. But I guess only time will tell! Now...was it the hatchery mislabeling them or the TSC employees? :idunno Either way, I'll love the chick for what it is! It's so inquisitive and curious of everything. It's also been keen to flying on to my shoulder and just sitting there! :love

Back
Top Bottom